Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tripacer
stevelup wrote:
tripacer wrote:That's what I use, and even on a 4K display it gives usable performance: 15+ fps with fairly high quality settings. Not stellar for many games, but the picture out of the window doesn't change very fast at the speeds I fly.

Try turning the render scale down - this will keep all the UI and everything pin sharp at 4K but massively increase your framerate. If you knock it down to 70% you will pretty much double your framerate with almost no visual impact.

I can set the render scale down to about 70 and get 20fps. Below that the instruments start to get a bit furry at 4k.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
tripacer wrote:I can set the render scale down to about 70 and get 20fps. Below that the instruments start to get a bit furry at 4k.

Personally I would drop the resolution to 1440p, up the render scale to 75% and maybe tweak the level of detail settings up a bit to maintain an acceptable frame rate. I think this would look better overall, as nice as 4k is.

Last night I setup a new wireless router dedicated to my Oculus headset, replacing the USB link. The wireless performance is actually better than cabled. I originally tried using my broadband router (a re-badged Huawei) which was rubbish, even though it claims to be 802.11ac. The only catch now is having to keep the headset charged up between flights (and drives, in Assetto Corsa).
By stevelup
75% of 1440P is 1920x1080 - tripacer said that below 70% of 2160P (2688x1512) he found the instruments fuzzy so that's not going to help.

There's no overhead running at 4K as long as you turn the render scale down. So 4K at 50% is 1920x1080 (so the same as your 75% of 1440 suggestion) but with the advantage that you're not relying on the crappy scaler in the monitor, plus all the UI elements are rendered sharply at native resolution.

I genuinely don't think there's any benefit at all to turning down the output resolution - it's best for it to match the display - any compromises should be made with the render scaling.
Cub liked this
By stevelup
Well, I ended up with a new case as well...

Man that 3070 Ti is a hot beast - launch any game and it would hit 87C within about a minute and end up with the incredibly noisy fans running at 100%.

I now have a case that is basically 50% fans and all is good, and all is quiet...

Anyway, all my other games now look absolutely fantastic and I can run them at 4K / Ultra.

...and FS2020 is still a bit of a dog... even on the latest update with the so called optimisations.
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Hello, my name is Tall_Guy_in_a_PA28 and I have a problem.

Taking a break from Flight Sim while they sort it out, and an enforced break from real flying due to weather and work, I open Steam on the PC and a window pops up "Based on your previous purchases, you might like ..... American Truck Simulator. "

So I download the free demo and now I am hooked. The demo seems to cover most of Southern California, an area I know quite well (although it looks different from the cab of my new 'Big Rig').

Next decision - do I sell the PA28 and buy a truck? I'm off to the Trucker Forum for some advice.
By Rob P
I see there is a hotfix available. Anybody tried it since?

Rob P
By RobW
I couldnt see any difference either, but a couple of friends that couldnt run the game after the last update now report everything is working again, Im just happy that I can now open the little window in my warrior again
By Rob P
RobW wrote: Im just happy that I can now open the little window in my warrior again

My Spitfire has just been updated, presumably to cope with the latest changes to MSFS

Rob P
RobW liked this