Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By golfcharlie
Clarkson maybe has a point, and I might be prepared to support him if, in the same breath, he condemned: petrol-driven lawn mowers; strimmers: hedge cutters; outboard motors on leisure vessels; racing speedboats; high-revving mopeds; motorcycles with insufficient silencing; go-karts; and boy racers with go-faster stripes, ten horns and two disfunctional chrome-plated silencers. In fact, people who drive cars like Clarkson.
For the moment, he just has a big loud mouth forming part of the 'entetainment' business.
Perhaps we should have a whip-round and present him with a set of pre-loved EasyJet ear defenders. He’s not worth the new ones.
Nick liked this
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
seanxair wrote:He should stick to what he is good at - if there is anything

Making money? :wink:

Well obviously he is good at that! And I wouldn't mind being a pound behind him but as far as being a useful human being I haven't read anything to support that theory
By Rob P
Not having read most of the rest of this thread, has the thought occured that may just be him winding up his fellow performers, both of whom. I believe. hold PPL?

Rob P
By Melanie Moxon
Rob P wrote:Not having read most of the rest of this thread, has the thought occured that may just be him winding up his fellow performers, both of whom. I believe. hold PPL?

Rob P

I'd agree with that.

After all comments like "let's take it through Switzerland and see what they make of it" in relation to the Veyron, a car not known for its subtlety. Would make him a hypocrite (perish the thought) would it not :lol:
By akg1486
Rob P wrote:Not having read most of the rest of this thread, has the thought occured that may just be him winding up his fellow performers, both of whom. I believe. hold PPL?

Rob P

I didn't know Richard Hammond had a PPL, but according to PilotWeb he got a PPL(H) in 2012. And James May of course flew on TopGear. Whether their licenses and ratings are currnent, I have no idea.

https://www.pilotweb.aero/features/10-c ... -1-4011216

Odd to include Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Harrison Ford on a list of "celebrities you probably didn't know have pilot licences". I though that at least those three were pretty known as being pilots.
By JAFO
@seanxair - many years ago my younger daughter spent a lot of time in hospital and I stayed there with her throughout. As you can imagine, it was not a lot of fun. A few of the books lying round for parents to pick up were collections of Mr Clarkson's journalism. I read them and they made me chuckle, despite the situation, and took me away from what was happening to my little girl for just a few minutes at a time. For that, I shall always be grateful to him. So, he has done some good, even if that's the extent of it.

My little girl is now all grown up and healthy and beautiful but still my little girl.
seanxair, Tim Dawson, Cns416 and 8 others liked this
By JAFO
akg1486 wrote:I didn't know Richard Hammond had a PPL, but according to PilotWeb he got a PPL(H) in 2012.

So, which bit of the PPL(H) that he's got isn't a PPL? :?
By JAFO
Hooligan wrote:I didn't know Harrison Ford has an earring...

I know, it's a disgrace. He should be forced to hand over his Aviat Husky to me for safe-keeping until he changes his mind and takes it out.

If I was him I wouldn't have an earring but I would hire a brass band to follow me everywhere playing the theme from Indiana Jones - everywhere.
By skydriller
rdfb wrote:
skydriller wrote:Is the media really an essential occupation ?

There is no currently restriction on working, whether your job is essential or not, except that you are required to work from home as far as is possible for your job. So whether the media is essential or not essential is not relevant to whether they are working at the moment or not.

Sorry, I must be mixing up the French and British rules. .. :oops:
By JAFO
JAFO wrote:
Hooligan wrote:I didn't know Harrison Ford has an earring...

I know, it's a disgrace. He should be forced to hand over his Aviat Husky to me for safe-keeping until he changes his mind and takes it out.

If I was him I wouldn't have an earring but I would hire a brass band to follow me everywhere playing the theme from Indiana Jones - everywhere.

How many likes do I have to get for this idea before he's obliged to hand it over?