Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
TheFarmer wrote:It’ll be fine.

By the end of April everyone will be allowed to be out and about again, and we can all start emptying our wallets at the bowsers again.

8)

If you think this will be over by then, then I think you're sorely mistaken

We're looking at months of this, not weeks.
It’s never going to be “over”. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. The media and politicians all know now exactly how easy it is to subjugate the masses, “for their own protection”. Precious freedoms, now denied, may never be back in quite the same way. Welcome to the 21st Century. Not what you expected, is it?
TractorBoy, rogerb, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TractorBoy wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:It’ll be fine.

By the end of April everyone will be allowed to be out and about again, and we can all start emptying our wallets at the bowsers again.

8)

If you think this will be over by then, then I think you're sorely mistaken

We're looking at months of this, not weeks.

Oh well, I tried to be positive.

Ok, we are all f****d then.
JAFO, TractorBoy, JodelDavo and 1 others liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:It’s never going to be “over”. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. The media and politicians all know now exactly how easy it is to subjugate the masses, “for their own protection”. Precious freedoms, now denied, may never be back in quite the same way. Welcome to the 21st Century. Not what you expected, is it?

Its frightening how easy we are being walked into Orwells 1984.......
skydriller, TractorBoy, JodelDavo and 2 others liked this
Police out this morning sitting at prominent positions, various locations in Derbyshire. Filming movements and stopping people shopping and going to work.

As said above clearly beginning to change the british model of policing.
By skydriller
Flyingfemme wrote:It’s never going to be “over”. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle. The media and politicians all know now exactly how easy it is to subjugate the masses, “for their own protection”. Precious freedoms, now denied, may never be back in quite the same way. Welcome to the 21st Century. Not what you expected, is it?

I was and am shocked at the ease with which France has become a de-facto Police State with the "where are your papers" line being said to me the other day as described on the non-av thread. All done very politely, dont get me wrong, but I was made to feel really uncomfortable at having to justify where I was, what I was doing, and why. Remember that Gendarmes are also part of the military. :|

Regards, SD..
Here's a tweet thread by a barrister about the law that came into force yesterday.

He makes these points

First things first

This is a "statutory instrument" not an Act of Parliament - it is so-called secondary legislation made under the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act

This is legally significant

First, it means that the regulations can only be used for public health purposes, otherwise they are ultra vies the Act

Second, SIs (secondary instruments) can be challenged in court and quashed if they are ultra vires

This means that if the regulations persist longer than the public health emergency - or are not rationally connected to the threat faced - then a court can rule them unlawful

We now move to the regulations

First stop, regulation 3

This provides for the "emergency period"

This can end when the government decides the regulations are no longer needed, and this question needs to be reviewed at least every 21 days

There will be a review on 16 April

Now onto Regulation 12 - this is a long-stop date for expiry of 6 months for all the regulations

It goes on to talk about other things, but talk of Police States is a little premature, given the seriousness of the situation the country finds itself in - whether they got it wrong initially, we are where we are.

Sooty25, Miscellaneous, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By skydriller
PaulB wrote: talk of Police States is a little premature

If you say so...but go watch any movie featuring characters in a Police state and the phrase "where are your papers" (usually in a bad German/Russian accent) features frequently followed by a minor interrogation of where, why what you are doing/going etc... I felt like I was in a parallel universe this morning when there was a debate on the TV about whether or not you should inform the police about seeing someone not following the new rules.... Does no-one remember East Germany and the Stasi??? :roll:
flybymike liked this