Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Our aircraft needs a flight test for its permit (that's all it needs) and our inspector has recommended occasionally ground running (40min+ at temperature). Would be better for the aircraft to fly for that time, we can access the aircraft (we self maintain) and the airport (commercial) is open.

Also needs a new magnetometer calibrated which we could also do as part of a ground run.
Lycoming appear to say 1 hour flight at least every 30 days. An instructor could do this, or we could split this task between group members. Of course, as its got an inverted oil system (Bulldog) which collects water if it isn't turned upside down from time to time...

So trying to decide and take advice about what can be justified as essential. If our inspector says its essential to maintain the engine... the alternative is to inhibit. We have had to have the engine overhauled once already due to corrosion so we are pretty protective. The joy of having a hanger by the sea. Salt destroys.
marioair wrote:that's the fundamental issue - the government guidance afaik doesn't let individuals decide what is essential.

Law, not guidance...

edited to add, the law isn't prescriptive. The courts would eventually decide (having taken account of guidance.)
Last edited by PaulB on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is part of a message sent out by Shoreham Airport on April 13th. It gives us some hope for preserving our aircraft engines during this crisis:

”Notwithstanding, just before the Easter break, we made enquiries to the CAA on behalf of a few owners/operators who had identified the need to carry out a flight to maintain the ongoing serviceability of their aircraft. By return, the CAA advised that such flights could be deemed essential“

There are procedures introduced by Shoreham Airport for resident aircraft in order to comply.

trevor
PaulB wrote:
skydriller wrote:Is airspace closed to GA in the UK?

No, but it's highly unlikely that a recreational GA flight could comply with the law requiring us not to leave our house so recreational GA is effectively precluded.

The law says it is illegal to leave your home (not your house) without reasonable excuse. There is then a list (not exhaustive) of reasonable excuses. The CAA have said apparently that a need to run an engine and fly to preserve it is seen as a reasonable excuse.
Personally I could drive to my airfield and fly for an hour without going near a soul.
malcolmfrost wrote:
PaulB wrote:
skydriller wrote:Is airspace closed to GA in the UK?

No, but it's highly unlikely that a recreational GA flight could comply with the law requiring us not to leave our house so recreational GA is effectively precluded.

The law says it is illegal to leave your home (not your house) without reasonable excuse.

Indeed it is home, not house (wrist slapped!) :-)

TThe CAA have said apparently that a need to run an engine and fly to preserve it is seen as a reasonable excuse.

I've read that the CAA has said that the need to run an engine is a reasonable excuse.... I'd like to see it on their website though.
PeteSpencer wrote:Lycomings need, after 30 days inactivity a 30 minute flight (!).

Second best, I guess a careful run up on the ground, to reach operating temp for a reasonable time to boil off any moisture but not to overheat a stationary engine.

I know which I'd prefer.

Peter :wink:

We operate 2 Cessna's, the Guidance in the manual differs quite a bit.

Ground run. Do not do it ! Also no pulling through of the engine by hand.

The guidance to maintain Flyable Storage pretty much says fly it once every 30 days for at least 1 Hour. Thats the route we will be taking. I'm looking forward to doing some Flying this week ! :D
TheFarmer, Duo802 liked this