Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
tomshep wrote:Not a lot of money at all (actually about the asking price for a good E-type Jag, to put it in perspective,) for something with a great history and provenance that is in tip top nick, usable and fun to fly.
I would!

Lovely machine but it will probably take £10 - 12k to maintain it.
I suppose it would be sacrilege to ask if it had a towing hook fitted? :shock:

With the current crisis I quite fancy having my own personal tug plane! Not sure I could train Mrs ls8pilot to fly it though......:lol:

Seriously I would love to have an original Chippy to fly, just couldn't afford to run it. I knew an ex-RAF instructor (friend of my late father) who taught on them, he had several thousand hours on type. He told me he reckoned on at least 2 engine problems a year , so he got quite good at field landings!
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
PaulSS wrote:
Pull lever and bang bang they started .

Until you got one of those damp squibs, which just fizzed and left the cockpit full of cordite-smelling smoke :D

I love that smell! But then again Mrs Bum says I’m weird.
Ian Melville liked this
Better with a Eurofox as you'll get better performance and you'll be able to many more launches. I used to tug at RNAS Yeovilton in the Chippy.......jeez it took a long time to get to 2000' with a Puchacz behind :D

PS: My Eurofox is beautiful, not expendable.......even if it is all ready to go and I haven't yet been able to fly it :(
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm amazed how "efficient" it is, given its age. Not too different from today's (80s/90s) 2-seater SEPs.
PaulSS wrote:Better with a Eurofox as you'll get better performance and you'll be able to many more launches. I used to tug at RNAS Yeovilton in the Chippy.......jeez it took a long time to get to 2000' with a Puchacz behind :D

Ah yes, but you can slide the canopy back, just like a spitfire pilot, cant do that in a Eurofox! I wonder if the refurbishment has kept the original "sutton harness", add in a seat parachute and you'll get the full experience!

I used to tow with an Auster (Dorset GC) - good for hours building especially with a Ka7 on the back. Maybe we've all got spoilt with current tugs, I recall doing competitions in the 1980's when you had Chipmunks, Condors, Wilga's and all sorts of odd stuff towing. The long tow used to give you time to settle down and get your maps etc organised! Mind you at Sutton Bank in those days towing to the North it sometimes also gave you a long time just over the trees to contemplate the lack of options if the engine stopped!
Interesting to note that in the black & white photo taken in the early years (any info on that photo?) WB549 does not sport the 'anti-spin' strakes in evidence in the modern photos. When were they introduced?

IC

Ah! De Haviland - Southampton UAS operating out of Hamble. Brilliant times :thumright: , brilliant aircraft :thumright: and brilliant airfield :thumright: .