Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
johnm wrote:I am not going flying, though there is no particular reason why I couldn't do so and still meet the social distancing advice.

As far as flying goes social distancing has been superseded, it does not feature on the list of activities for which you can venture outside.

I think it's just that old anarchist in you coming to the fore. :wink:

johnm wrote:I am deeply grateful to all the half wits unable to act responsibly and to those in authority unable to control them.

Living a life constrained by rules designed to save people form themselves is rather tiresome. :thumright:

G-JWTP wrote:I've shut down my small company and sent everyone home.

I hope the consequences are not too detrimental. There's much relief at the announcement 80% of salaries will be covered. The consequences for small businesses seems to being brushed under the carpet for now. :(
JAFO liked this
By FlarePath
Interesting exchange on a GA FB post in response to those who insisted their flying activities were justified.

And precisely for this type of irresponsible behaviour we are now all locked down. Bravo.

With this response.

AirBourne Aviation We are so sorry you lost the brexit vote, but please enough already.

:wall:
PaulB liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AerBabe wrote:It's simple.

Just.
Stay.
Home.

I am and have been for some days except for taking exercise in the country and shopping (it's my turn again tomorrow) Shopping did include more than food until today and I shall now need to limit activities to the stock of bits in the garage and the shed.

The reason we're here has been obvious for some days to those of us out and about. A big chunk of our fellow citizens are half wits who couldn't get their heads around social distancing and the authorities were slow to organise to support it.

Plans for today and tomorrow were to take advantage of the weather improvement to go flying (maintaining social distancing) and drive across to the wood and see how it is faring since we haven't been since January, that too would have been OK from a social distancing point of view. We had hoped to get that done before the draconian measures finally arrived both now cancelled :(
By Dave W
johnm wrote:We had hoped to get that done before the draconian measures finally arrived both now cancelled :(

20 minutes ago you were complaining that the draconian measures were not in place last month...
johnm wrote:I am deeply grateful to all the half wits unable to act responsibly and to those in authority unable to control them.
I am asking myself why this couldn't all have been in place a month ago when the loony crowds were hoarding......
By JAFO
johnm wrote:I am not going flying, though there is no particular reason why I couldn't do so and still meet the social distancing advice.

Yes there is, it is no longer advice, it is an instruction, the Prime Minister said people should leave home only to exercise once a day, travel to and from work where "absolutely necessary", shop for essential items and to fulfil any medical or care needs.

How is going flying one of those things? Is it how you commute? Is it how you get to the shops? Is it how you get to the chemists? If it isn't and is, as you suggest, just "going flying" it does not fit with the latest instructions.
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:John, if this had been done a month ago even more businesses would have folded than are already likely to.

I think he means the marks on the supermarket floors and the restrictions on the numbers in the shop at any one time.

Someone googled that Pepys quote and found it was made up.

I posted this:

Miscellaneous, johnm liked this
By johnm
I am well aware of the latest instructions and my grump is that with proper contingency planning and managed action on large groups and social distancing a month ago we may not have needed such a draconian response.

We will never know for sure, but we should see some impact of current action in 3 weeks (which is why the timescale was chosen) as the incubation period works through and the infection & death rate figures reflect the decision.
By FlarePath
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Dave W wrote:John, if this had been done a month ago even more businesses would have folded than are already likely to.

I think he means the marks on the supermarket floors and the restrictions on the numbers in the shop at any one time.

Someone googled that Pepys quote and found it was made up.

I posted this:

Well you can fool some of the people..........etc etc...
johnm, flybymike liked this
By rikur_
johnm wrote:I am asking myself why this couldn't all have been in place a month ago when the loony crowds were hoarding.....part of the answer is the lost of art of civil defence and contingency planning......

I'm not sure public support was there for it even a week ago.
If there is one silver lining to the weekend antics, it is that it seems to have made the overwhelming public opinion in favour of last night's decision.
Earl Grey, Iceman liked this
By Miscellaneous
kanga wrote:Skywatch has told members to suspend operations; email yesterday.

I thought they had been disbanded, or is that just north of the border since the inception of Police Scotland? :?