Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
clarkeysntfc wrote:Just imagine yourself being pulled over by a policeman.

Policeman says "can I ask why you are out of your home today, is your journey essential?"
You respond "I am going to my GA airfield to fly an aeroplane".
Policeman "not essential then, go home"

Surely he would have to ask the reason you were going to fly an aeroplane to ascertain if it was essential, rather than make the assumption it is not essential? :D
By lobstaboy
defcribed wrote:
- it is planned and gradual implementation of a plan which consists of a series of increasingly serious measures.

Yes. And there are going to be further increasingly serious measures to come.

Bear in mind that it will take 14-18 days for today's restrictions to have an impact on the number dying (because people in that time range are already infected). It'll be well into the thousands by then.

My father was a senior science officer in the Civil Defence Corps. He'd have said we are having to relearn lessons from 50 odd years ago that shouldn't have been forgotten.
Hawkwind, GeorgeJLA liked this
By defcribed
clarkeysntfc wrote:Just imagine yourself being pulled over by a policeman.

Policeman says "can I ask why you are out of your home today, is your journey essential?"
You respond "I am going to my GA airfield to fly an aeroplane".
Policeman "not essential then, go home"

Surely that conversation could easily go:

Policeman: "Can I ask why you're out of your home today, is your journey essential?"
You "I am going to the supermarket to buy food because we're almost out"
Policeman "Ok, thanks, off you go sir"
You <drives to airfield and goes flying>

:lol:
johnm liked this
By Yakovlevs
UK government is entirely cognisant of GA's capability to move medical personnel and supplies around the nation and has always had contingency plans in place to call upon the community as required... but then I'm sure everyone already knew that.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Would this policeman accept going fishing as food shopping? :D

A friend of mine bought a house which backs onto a river complete with fishing rights.

He's been fishing in this current crisis, but he's reported back that he hasn't caught anything yet!
By seanxair
Miscellaneous wrote:Surely he would have to ask the reason you were going to fly an aeroplane to ascertain if it was essential, rather than make the assumption it is not essential? :D

Confusing Police with CAA there I fear! :lol:
Miscellaneous liked this
By cotterpot
The concern I have is that with the aircraft on a remote farm strip, whilst I and other pilots will stay away we have a group in society that may take the opportunity to go and have a 'look' and see what's there, and remove anything of value.

So security of premises may become an issue, that needs review.

Not sure how to deal with it yet.
By FlarePath
PaulB wrote:
FlarePath wrote:Not the first time people have been numpties...

Hmmm.... Her Majesty would have been Charles II (1660-85).

Surely Pepys wouldn't have made that sort of error.

what with all this sh* t e going on now I find out the internet is full of inaccurate misleading info :twisted:
PaulB liked this
By pullup
James Chan wrote:
Can GA help?

Ignoring the self-defeatist comments ( :clown: ), yes. Some applications include:
- Transfer of people and organs for medical use
- Delivery of small goods via drones or small aircraft where delivery services are not available
- Transfer of key workers
- Police/security surveillance to maintain law and order
- Scientific research to monitor virus particles, atmosphere, etc

Are you being serious?

“ Transfer of people and organs for medical use“
Some of us will recall that the CAA mandated, a long time ago, that this type of work was to be carried out by professional pilots following a series of fatal accidents. Night, IMC etc.

“ Delivery of small goods via drones or small aircraft where delivery services are not available”
....Yeah....

“ Transfer of key workers”
Public Transport .

“ Police/security surveillance to maintain law and order”
Again, stopped after a Police surveillance aircraft crashed killing the crew. PPL holder .

Please get some real experience....
JAFO liked this