Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By timjenner
Hi,

As I was unlikely to fly enough hours to revalidate my SEP rating by experience this year (definitely wouldn't have done now the world's turned upside down!) I flew a license proficiency check last Monday - should this be logged as P1 or P1S?

Rather depressing that most of us won't be flying again for a while and thanks to Rochester being waterlogged I hadn't flown for 6 months prior to that flight! Still, the weather was perfect and it was fantastic to be airborne again... A timely reminder that when the madness is over the sky will still be waiting for us!

Cheers,
Tim
By AprilDavy
Not sure to be honest. When I've done my IR(R) check flight when inside the 25 months and even outside, I've been P1 under supervision. For a check flight or exam flight I'd put that in. I've consistently logged renewal and flights as P1/S.
Did you get your examiner to countersign your logbook entry, if so presumably he/she was happy with your entry in your log book?
I always get the instructor to countersign any check flight - they seem quite happy and even seem to know their number off by heart!
My Pooleys log book states
"P.1/S" Pilot in Command under supervision. (Each entry to be countersigned by the Captain of the aircraft concerned."
I.e, a good example where the pilot in command is not he Captain.
If I have an instructor/examiner on board, if he/she said "I have control" I'd hand control to them "You have control". If I was with a more experienced pilot who requested control - I may refuse.
Who was in ultimate control on your flight?
Not sure this helps!
By Kemble Pitts
P1(U/S) for a successful test, i.e. flying with an Examiner for a test.

Dual if you fail the test and for all flights with an Instructor. This includes the '1 hour flight time with an instructor'.
scd975 liked this
By David Wood
As said, if it was a flight test with an examiner and you passed it, then you log it as Pilot in Command under Supervision (P1S). If you didn't pass it then it was simply a training flight and you were a Pilot under Training (Put). If it was any other flight with an instructor where he was acting as an instructor (and therefore, by definition, he was the Pilot on Command (P1)) then you were Put.
By Irv Lee
(Warning: from memory :roll: )
when i got my BCPL/CPL, for some reason p1/s only counted 50% towards the totals needed in the log book for the licence levels. Yet all p1/s was probably flown far more "professionally" than the full p1.
(Perhaps they were "half taking the p1/s")
I also remember others getting letters back asking them to do "x" more hours (usually small) as they had logged "syndicate checkouts" with non instructor ppls over the years as p1/s
flybymike liked this