Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ls8pilot
Idly glancing at glideandseek.com today I noticed a cluster of anonymous Flarm targets around Shawbury, they are coded as Type=Glider, but when you look at their track, speed and height it's pretty clear they are powered aircraft (maybe motor gliders).

Even more odd they dont show up on "spot the glider" or Flight Radar24 - I wonder why?

Are they RAF trainers or something similar?
By januspilot
Our CFI who is ex RAF has been trying to contact someone there to get the config changed. Are you sure they are aircraft, may be helicopters. The config file has a line $pflac,s,acft=
1 is a glider
3 is helicopter
8 is aircraft
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They are almost certainly helicopters. That's where the combined forces rotary flying school (or whatever it's called) is based.

They are all ADSB-out equipped so I often have great fun watching them on my PAW/SD combo as I'm based just down the road from Shawbury.
By ls8pilot
januspilot wrote:Our CFI who is ex RAF has been trying to contact someone there to get the config changed. Are you sure they are aircraft, may be helicopters. The config file has a line $pflac,s,acft=
1 is a glider
3 is helicopter
8 is aircraft

Yes they could be helicopters, based on the tracks I saw. As you say I think they have the wrong config entry....
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
januspilot wrote:Are you sure they are aircraft, may be helicopters. The config file has a line $pflac,s,acft=
1 is a glider
3 is helicopter
8 is aircraft

Pedantry perhaps, but gliders and helicopters are both aircraft.

The error doesn't originate here, it's in FLARM's own documentation.
By ChrisRowland
AIUI the RAF installed FLARM in their smaller aircraft, at least the ATC Tutors, maybe training helicopters after the collision between a glider and a Tutor near Didcot.

FLARM will default to gliders and the way that the signals haven't been registered implies that no one has bothered to set them up. We are lucky thet they have had the FLARM software upgraded.

Various receivers pick up FLARM, ADSB etc signals and make them available. What you see depends on what servers the display connects to.
Ls8 Pilot, you are partially correct. The defaults you state are correct for each type of unit when delivered new. It's an easy job changing by inputting a new config.txt file . Flarm.com site has facility to write a new file. There is another site where you can make up a replacement config file, find by using Mr Google.
ls8pilot liked this
By januspilot
Three aircraft out today, all seemed to take off in Shropshire.
All three are showing as glider/ motorglider. But the speed they are traveling at seem too fast for these category.
Flarm I'd DD0C1C, DD0C28 and DD0560

Please set them up correctly.
By Rob P
Four EC35 showing around Shawbury today (ADSB Exchange)

For the spotters:

ZM516
ZM528
ZM504
And one that has just dropped off the screen

Rob P