Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By Instructor Errant
#1754950
Thanks for your feedback @JAFO, I won’t bore you with the precautions we took or the pre-flight risk assessment or the relationship between myself or the pilot concerned but I must admit I should have realised there was a high risk of someone on an internet forum jumping to those good ole ill informed conclusions,

Over and out.
Jonzarno, idlelayabout, Iceman and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By PeteSpencer
#1754952
Bill McCarthy wrote:Since huge numbers of aircraft are grounded with no passengers about, the wide open spaces of the various airport lounges would make ideal emergency hospitals.


Nah but they’d be fine as mortuaries

Peter
User avatar
By JAFO
#1754968
Instructor Errant wrote:Thanks for your feedback @JAFO, I won’t bore you with the precautions we took or the pre-flight risk assessment or the relationship between myself or the pilot concerned but I must admit I should have realised there was a high risk of someone on an internet forum jumping to those good ole ill informed conclusions,

Over and out.


If it was someone that you live with, then I apologise for jumping to conclusions. If not then I stand by what I said.
User avatar
By Josh
#1755039
Having spent the past 2 days sharing a flight deck with someone I don’t live with, feel free to have a pop at me too.
idlelayabout, Iceman liked this
User avatar
By JAFO
#1755046
Josh wrote:Having spent the past 2 days sharing a flight deck with someone I don’t live with, feel free to have a pop at me too.


Josh, I don't believe the flight deck of CAT is the same as someone in an SR22; I have no wish to have a pop at you. I believe my earlier comments directed at @Instructor Errant merely echoed those of the Prime Minister, the SofS for Health and the CMO. I don't believe, unless he is an epidemiologist moonlighting as an instructor, that there was a meaningful risk-assessment that he could have made. I don't believe that there were reasonable precautions they could have taken unless the SR22 cockpit is much, much wider than I recall. If I'm wrong then, again, I'm happy to apologise but I'll withdraw from this discussion either way.
User avatar
By kanga
#1755073
Jonzarno wrote:..
Hmmm. I heard today of someone who landed an SR22 at Stansted a day or two ago with no difficulty.

Cheap really at “only” £670......... :pale:


Don't know what the landing fee was when I last landed at ZSD (as it then was) in a C150. It was included in the Stansted Flying School hire rate . It was at the end of my GFT (passed :thumright: )

My QXC was a bit like the one here:

viewtopic.php?t=101904&start=30

.. but it was ZSD-Ipswich-Biggin-ZSD. Ipswich fee was 7/6*, but Biggin was a shocking 10/6* .. :roll:

[*for youngsters: 37.5p, 57.5p :wink: ]
Stu B liked this
By Barcli
#1755104
JAFO wrote:
Josh wrote:Having spent the past 2 days sharing a flight deck with someone I don’t live with, feel free to have a pop at me too.


Josh, I don't believe the flight deck of CAT is the same as someone in an SR22; .


Its still not 2mtrs.... why is it not then same otherwise ? I'll bet the CAT is harboring more bacteria, lots and lots of different crew.... never sanitized or deep cleaned,
I would say a lot worse than a privately owned SR22
Trent772, Iceman liked this
User avatar
By Trent772
#1755107
Several GA aeroplanes flying today, fair do's some are military Grobs, but the odd private flight. I suppose if you have your own strip and fly with a family member it is the perfect was of distance separating !

My buddy at Shanwick said they normally have around 1200 movements a day at this time of year, yesterday they had 258 and then New York OCA closed its airspace.

Most of the CAT is freight - them rubber dog turds don't find their own way you know :thumleft:
User avatar
By Red
#1755248
Rob L wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Since huge numbers of aircraft are grounded with no passengers about, the wide open spaces of the various airport lounges would make ideal emergency hospitals.


Too many hard surfaces harbouring nasty viruses from people from many different locations. Good thought though!



How is that a problem? the Virus does not persist past a few days outside a host and there are of course ways to sanitise areas

Airports do have good ground transport links communications and infrastructure in place
I dunno, could be a good choice
User avatar
By Rob L
#1755250
Red wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Since huge numbers of aircraft are grounded with no passengers about, the wide open spaces of the various airport lounges would make ideal emergency hospitals.


Too many hard surfaces harbouring nasty viruses from people from many different locations. Good thought though!



How is that a problem? the Virus does not persist past a few days outside a host and there are of course ways to sanitise areas

Red, the huge areas of floors, plastic seating, tables etc would require an army of people to maintain the sanitised standards this virus requires...which would put tose very workers at risk.
I hope that makes sense.
Rob
User avatar
By kanga
#1755277
Report on BBC West MIdlands (Birmingham studio) TV news this evening suggested that BHX is being contemplated as the site for a Field Hospital (or, possibly, temporary morgue :roll: ). This rather suggests that no rapid return to CAT business as usual is expected.
User avatar
By Red
#1755283
quote="gasman"]
Red wrote:How is that a problem? the Virus does not persist past a few days outside a host and there are of course ways to sanitise


The virus may persist considerably longer than a few days on surfaces:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 20991.html[/quote]

That is very bad news


Rob L wrote:
Red wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Too many hard surfaces harbouring nasty viruses from people from many different locations. Good thought though!



How is that a problem? the Virus does not persist past a few days outside a host and there are of course ways to sanitise areas

Red, the huge areas of floors, plastic seating, tables etc would require an army of people to maintain the sanitised standards this virus requires...which would put tose very workers at risk.
I hope that makes sense.
Rob



A bit like hospitals then