Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Josh
Yesterday seemed very similar to some of the ash cloud days - almost no big jet movements. Gatwick airspace was full of people transiting and enjoying the sunshine.

On a positive note, I hope people are enjoying doing what they love in good weather while the opportunity still presents itself!

3 visual approaches yesterday, all with the field in sight from miles out :thumleft:
By alexbrett2
Indeed, I was listening out and heard a light aircraft talking to Stansted and asking if they could buzz the runway - ATC seemed entirely happy to allow it, but apparently the tower reported the airport would consider it an approach and charge for it (spoil sports!)...
By XX
Josh

Indeed, I took the opportunity of a south to north transit of Gatwick on Saturday. A first for my partner, suitably impressed (ok, easily pleased ...). I don't routinely ask, so first time since the ash cloud.
Tim Dawson liked this
By chrisbl
I am surprised that training is still going on.
It flaunts the social distancing advice. A lockdown will be a relief frankly. There are more important things than flying.
scd975 liked this
By Instructor Errant
alexbrett2 wrote:Indeed, I was listening out and heard a light aircraft talking to Stansted and asking if they could buzz the runway - ATC seemed entirely happy to allow it, but apparently the tower reported the airport would consider it an approach and charge for it (spoil sports!)...

I dropped a friend off today for his aviation medical and he would normally drop in to Duxford and drive to Stansted but we managed to get a slot direct in to Stansted which was a nice experience in an SEP. We were given the choice of flying the STAR or direct to right base for RW04 :thumright:

Nice to get EGSS in the logbook but the charges were... :shock:
By Bill McCarthy
Since huge numbers of aircraft are grounded with no passengers about, the wide open spaces of the various airport lounges would make ideal emergency hospitals.
By Rob L
Bill McCarthy wrote:Since huge numbers of aircraft are grounded with no passengers about, the wide open spaces of the various airport lounges would make ideal emergency hospitals.

Too many hard surfaces harbouring nasty viruses from people from many different locations. Good thought though!
By Jonzarno
alexbrett2 wrote:Indeed, I was listening out and heard a light aircraft talking to Stansted and asking if they could buzz the runway - ATC seemed entirely happy to allow it, but apparently the tower reported the airport would consider it an approach and charge for it (spoil sports!)...

Hmmm. I heard today of someone who landed an SR22 at Stansted a day or two ago with no difficulty.

Cheap really at “only” £670......... :pale:
By Instructor Errant
Jonzarno wrote:Hmmm. I heard today of someone who landed an SR22 at Stansted a day or two ago with no difficulty.

Cheap really at “only” £670......... :pale:

I landed an SR22 at Stansted this afternoon but the invoice wasn’t £670.
It was £710.22.... :shock: been diddled!!! :evil:

The biscuits were nice though :lol:

Just for the sake of clarity the aircraft owner paid, I am just the poor FI. :pig:
By JAFO
I find it hard to comprehend why an instructor would get into an aircraft with someone at the moment or why someone would want an instructor to join them in the cockpit.

You'd think that someone who can afford an SR22 and a £710 landing fee would be able to understand simple instructions on how to not spread infection, cripple the NHS and be responsible for the deaths of others.