Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My memory is the same as Ian's - also the same in lacking the details.

The subject has never been "banned" here, or "free speech" denied - despite what some disingenuous* other forum owners like to claim loudly and often.

What is banned is e.g.: picking fights, grinding axes and generally being a nuisance - and unfortunately in the past the subject has attracted all of those. The upshot of that - as warned clearly in the Code of Conduct - is that threads will get locked or removed.

Why locked or removed rather than edited? Because the volunteer Mods don't have time or inclination to sort wheat from the chaff in fast-moving threads on complex subjects, and why should we? Posters should be disciplined enough to follow the clear guidelines.

If they don't, and the threads get lost because of it, then the fault lies with those difficult posters and not with the forum management.

*A word with some forum history. It is apposite this time.
kanga, patowalker, skydriller and 2 others liked this
By MikeE
G-BLEW wrote:

FWIW, my own opinion is that the CAP 1404 process had some merit but has fallen into disrepute. I actually think the possible outcomes – ranging from a letter through to provisional licence suspension, passing things like a GASCo course on the way – are OK.

... It also strongly discourages people from challenging the situation, and EVERY person I have spoken to who has had their licence suspended has decided that compliance is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way ahead.

Ian

Apologies, I can't work out how to split the quote and reply:

"FWIW, my own opinion is that the CAP 1404 process had some merit but has fallen into disrepute. I actually think the possible outcomes – ranging from a letter through to provisional licence suspension, passing things like a GASCo course on the way – are OK"

Some people I have spoken to as part of my research say that the course is interesting, but does not really address the real issues leading to infringements.

"....It also strongly discourages people from challenging the situation, and EVERY person I have spoken to who has had their licence suspended has decided that compliance is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way ahead"

Again, some of those I have spoken to as part of my research have said in all seriousness that they have considered giving up flying having infringed, facing the prospect of suspension or loss of licence should they do so again. I appreciate that the process does not work quite like that, but I am relating how some pilots feel. Others have said that the 'fear' of infringing again diverts their attention away from their focus on flying safely. While some pilots may think that this is perhaps a disproportionate response, the fact that some very experienced and conscientious pilots may think this way (and being experienced and conscientious may in itself be one reason why they do) raises some interesting questions.

Best wishes

Mike
G-BLEW, Talkdownman, G-JWTP liked this
By flybymike
[Again, some of those I have spoken to as part of my research have said in all seriousness that they have considered giving up flying having infringed, facing the prospect of suspension or loss of licence should they do so again. I appreciate that the process does not work quite like that, but I am relating how some pilots feel. Others have said that the 'fear' of infringing again diverts their attention away from their focus on flying safely. While some pilots may think that this is perhaps a disproportionate response, the fact that some very experienced and conscientious pilots may think this way (and being experienced and conscientious may in itself be one reason why they do) raises some interesting questions.

Excellent points Mike.
Those are precisely my sentiments on the subject. Should I ever get caught up in the procedure I’m pretty sure I would pack in flying altogether.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
As an aside Patrick Ky, head honcho at EASA and a very positive supporter of GA, told me that one of the reasons he hasn't flown GA as a pilot for a long time was the fear of getting it wrong and infringing.

Ian
MikeE, Flyin'Dutch', Bobcro and 1 others liked this
By skydriller
Seriously?

I can understand the problems he might have considering his day job should he make an error, but at the same time it is slightly worrying he feels that way.

What about commercial pilots that fly GA? Does a GA transgression affect their proffesional licence, have any nrgative influence with their employer, or reflect upon their professionalism in the day job ?

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By flybymike
What about commercial pilots that fly GA? Does a GA transgression affect their proffesional licence, have any nrgative influence with their employer, or reflect upon their professionalism in the day job ?

Yes on all counts I believe.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
skydriller wrote:Seriously?

I can understand the problems he might have considering his day job should he make an error, but at the same time it is slightly worrying he feels that way.

Regards, SD..

I think he last flew more than 20, perhaps even 30 years ago, so it wasn't really a day job issue at the time.
By Rob P
I'd have chipped in a ton

Rob P
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
patowalker wrote:AFAIK, there is nothing to suggest Patrick Ky ever had anything other than PPL.

Indeed, when I said 'not a day job issue' I meant he was not at EASA. Sorry for any confusion.

Ian