Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
So @Foo Gee and @A le Ron are you suggesting that I’m being irresponsible and/or selfish by flying 60 miles from my farm strip to go to work, where I land on another farm strip and then sit in a tractor all day, and then fly back home at the end of the day?

By doing so, I save 2 hours of driving and I don’t call into any petrol stations.

:?
Kittyhawk liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:We forget how fast this has moved.......

Thursday night a week ago she went out to her evening piss-up.

Friday night a week ago I went out to my evening piss-up.

Saturday night a week ago her evening piss-up was cancelled.

Sunday a week ago I decided not to go to work any more, and emailed my boss to tell him.

Monday people did go to the office, to be told to take their gear home because it would be shut from Tuesday, so I was only one day ahead of that curve.
Foo Gee wrote:If we collectively refuse to take heed of the advice given to us by the experts then we must count ourselves complicit in other people dying.

I think we need to be cautious here.

Foo Gee wrote:You think you're doing no harm by going flying because you fly from a private strip and do not come into contact with anyone. However, when you're up there enjoying yourself a number of people will look up and think that if you can do what you want then why shouldn't they. They might not appreciate you haven't been in contact with anyone in pursuit of your enjoyment but might then go out and enjoy their own hobby whilst potentially infecting others thinking the situation is not as grave as it actually is. Then another person sees them enjoying themselves and thinks they too will indulge in their hobby and so forth.

That is a very good point I hadn't considered. Thanks for the food for thought, I will now consider it. :thumright:

I have not long since emailed my AME saying I'll put my medical off since the journey to a surgery in Glasgow is a risk not worth taking and I fully expect flying to be stopped.

Foo Gee wrote:This is why the government had no option but to shut cafes, pubs, clubs etc. The herd saw others and followed suit.

I agree, it's sad it has to be enforced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51995357

Foo Gee wrote:We owe it to the health of others to take the responsible route and listen to the advice and stop being so bloody selfish.

I agree, there seems to be difficulty in agreeing exactly what selfishness is. Should we accept dogs require walking and humans don't? :wink:
TheFarmer wrote:So @Foo Gee and @A le Ron are you suggesting that I’m being irresponsible and/or selfish by flying 60 miles from my farm strip to go to work, where I land on another farm strip and then sit in a tractor all day, and then fly back home at the end of the day?

I think that's commuting as necessary to carry out a vital front line job, and very different to the leisure flying that most are talking about in this thread.
TheFarmer wrote:By doing so, I save 2 hours of driving and I don’t call into any petrol stations.

:?

JOOI how much fuel have you got stashed for the plane?
Today’s brief from the Prime Ministers Team cover this very subject and in my view had very good and sage advice.

Basically as others have said: “ We owe it to the health of others to take the responsible route and listen to the advice and stop being so bloody selfish.”

Otherwise Government will take steps to reduce the choices we currently have even further and more stringent isolation measures will be taken as we have seen in other countries.
The thing that troubles me is that for a few people catching the virus will be the end. But apart from that they would have had a longer life.

I can’t countenance being the person who unwittingly passes them their death sentence.

So I leave the house assuming I’m in that period after catching it but before knowing so.

If you choose to carry on going oot n aboot please do as I do. I wear disposable gloves to avoid skin contact.
CloudHound wrote:If you choose to carry on going oot n aboot please do as I do. I wear disposable gloves to avoid skin contact.

With half a dozen gates to open/close that's exactly what I did on my walk.

With the latest clarification from BJ it's interesting to see how so many had it so wrong and how that error manifested itself in the attacks on others. So easily done, we're all human. :(
JAFO wrote:
Gertie wrote:Well, it's the end of life as we know it.

Well, at least you're not getting all emotional and overstating things, then.

It's taken a decade for the economy to get somewhere back to near where it was before the banking crash. This is rather more serious, and could take several decades. "Several decades" is longer than some of us have left, so "the end of life as we know it" is, in terms of economic well-being, literally true for a chunk of the population.
PeteSpencer liked this
I see people's irritation. The excess risk of spreading the contagion by flying one's own aircraft is minimal. The problem is, the public in general look around them and see life going on as normal for other people, and don't adjust in the way they should. If making a single rule for isolation gets the message through to the hard of thinking, I'd be inclided to agree. It's governing according to the lowest common denominator, which sucks, but hasn't that always been the way?

It's naive in terms of rigour, but based on the most current data, here's a graph that details Italy's total death toll annotated with the key Italian government interventions. Overlaid on top is UK's death toll (shifted by 14 days).

This is something to ponder for those who "can't see what the big deal is", and let them consider why their view isn't shared by multi-decade veterans of epidemiology. The current situation in the UK isn't exactly benign going by this London consultant's story

If people are in any doubt about what the next 2 weeks worth of Orange dots might actually look like (especially if things aren't reined in), Sky News is a good source of info

With a 2+ week incubation period, I guess what you are seeing is the effects of no intervention - the people contributing to the wards and the graphs are those that picked up the virus before the interventions kicked in (a characteristic doubling every 4 or so days)

What will be interesting is to see what the curve looks like in the next 2 weeks for Italy.....hopefully the rate of admissions and deaths will flatten a little, and they can consolidate.
masterofnone wrote:I see people's irritation. The excess risk of spreading the contagion by flying one's own aircraft is minimal. The problem is, the public in general look around them and see life going on as normal for other people, and don't adjust in the way they should. If making a single rule for isolation gets the message through to the hard of thinking, I'd be inclided to agree. It's governing according to the lowest common denominator, which sucks, but hasn't that always been the way?

It's naive in terms of rigour, but based on the most current data, here's a graph that details Italy's total death toll annotated with the key Italian government interventions. Overlaid on top is UK's death toll (shifted by 14 days).

Some sensible comments there @masterofnone, thought I'd add this for a bit of balance.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England Dr Jenny Harries also warns against a "direct comparison" between virus case rates in Italy and the UK, saying this should be done with "caution".

She says that the case fatality rate is around 10% in Italy, as opposed to 4% in the UK - but it depends how cases are counted.

She says there are differences in testing, with more serious cases being tested in the UK, for example.

She adds that they feel the eventual mortality rate for the virus will be around 1%.