Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
seanxair wrote:We need to eat though so my wife has just gone to the local small supermarket for essentials.

We're just trying out the inherited bread making machine we knew we had in a pile of junk somewhere (we had the bread flour and the (surprisingly in date) dried yeast in the #brexit cupboard anyway). There's a brand new local fruit and veg delivery company, so we'll see whether they actually deliver as promised (they used to deliver fruit to offices, but that market evaporated completely last Monday). The freezers - we have capacity for when we had three teenagers at home - have always been kept full. The long life stuff in the #brexit cupboard adds up, I'm told, to 42 days' worth, so we can afford to wait and see whether the supermarket delivery slot we managed to book for three weeks' time actually works (you can't book them at all any more, nor even click-and-collect slots, not round here anyway, plus they're already busy crossing off lots of stuff from our order so who knows whether there will be anything left at all in three weeks' time).

Water butts and camping gear should see us OK for water if the taps stop working. We've got charcoal and wood for cooking when the power goes off, along with matches from the #brexit cupboard (obvs, and I'm so sure that there must be candles there that I haven't even asked; we keep candles in stock anyway, just for routine power cuts). OK, so we've also got 400 litres of kerosene, but that's not terribly useful because it's hundreds of miles away.

One unanswered question: is it worth getting out lots of cash for when there's a run on the banks, or will people stop accepting cash for food at around the same time, so it's not worth it? We've got some anyway, just in case it turns out to be useful for a few days.

Which just leaves milk.

I never use the stuff, but she thinks it's important to have some, possibly even important enough to go to the local shop despite my discouragement.
Sleap have also just announced they are to close from this afternoon until further notice.

It is with a heavy heart that we announce that as of close of play this afternoon, Sunday 22nd March 2020, Shropshire Aero Club will be closing. It is becoming increasingly clear that the situation is worsening and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. We have a duty of care to you, as our Membership and Staff, to keep you as safe from this virus as best we can. We also have a social responsibility, to ensure that our actions do not enable a situation to occur - such as a plane getting lost or in trouble - that could impact on the emergency services, who are already under great pressure at this time of nationwide crisis.

Therefore, from this evening, the Club will be closed with no access to the office, tower or to fuel. However, the gate will be able to be opened by code, to those who wish to visit their hangars. Assessment and revision of the situation will be taking place regularly and any updates to our position will be communicated to all.
malcolmfrost wrote:...
We also need to look further forward as well, if this goes on for as long as is being mooted we won’t have any airfields left and many will have run out of validity and won’t bother to renew. GA in the UK and probably elsewhere will be dead. Do we want that? Will it matter?

On Friday the UK government announced they would do "whatever it takes" to support the country. This suggests the UK government will support airfields that are run as a business, and the businesses that depend on the airfields such as the flying schools, clubs and maintenance organisations.

By removing the worry about money coming in they (the government) remove the need for many people to go out to earn money (and risk either catching or spreading the virus) in order to pay the bills and feed the family.

The other reason people go out is for food and supplies.
In the same way that we have councils that routinely arrange for collection of refuse/recycling, if the government/councils arrange for another group to deliver food and essentials to all households in the country at no cost to the recipients (under the headline "whatever it takes"), that will also remove the need for most people to leave their homes and improve social distancing and isolation.
Desperate times need desperate measures.

Aviation will get restarted eventually and the CAA/EASA may need to do something pragmatic around licencing, ratings, maintenance and currency.
When that might be is the least of our worries right now - need to focus on the many staying alive.
Cowshed liked this
Taking a slightly different tack, please bear with me as I'm definitely not trying to be provocative. The reference is the world without C-19.

Let's say x people will die from the effects of C-19 if the current lock-down plan works as well as it can.

If the country had simply carried on with no lock-down Ax people would have died from C-19 effects, where A is greater than 1.

Lock-down will cause a depression of some depth, many good companies will go bust and many people will be unemployed. The economy is going to be crippled for some years and the national debt will soar.

The effects of this depression upon society and the population will be; depressed people, homeless people, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, increase in crime and violence, poverty; lack of funding for hospitals, elderly care, infrastructure, education, policing and security. I suggest that this depression will cause the deaths of y people.

So, lock-down plus depression will kill x + y people. And we have a crippled economy.
No lock-down will kill Ax people. And we retain a functioning economy.

Question: which is the larger number, x + y or Ax?
Iceman liked this
@Kemble Pitts Just needs Greta to say "they" have screwed the planet for us, and now "they" are screwing our economic futures in order to buy "their" already sick ones just another 18 months of poor quality living.... GOGETTEM!
@Kemble Pitts, a very good question which, I am sure, no-one can answer with any degree of certainty or accuracy. The one assumption that I might challenge is that Ax deaths would leave enough people for a fully functioning economy but, given the death rates, even that seems reasonable.
The Ax result also leads us to no spare medical capacity, making every day things more risky and dangerous for everyone. Everything we do is made safer by the existence of hospitals and available medical personnel.
Would you drive regularly if you knew, should you get into an accident, there is nobody trained and available to help you?

Although since this country has been extremely late in everything, and very few people are taking this seriously, and the government are not enforcing it, we're going to be there within 2 weeks anyway.
A le Ron wrote:
Sorry. We need one simple set of rules for everyone, as society has already demonstrated it cannot follow advice.

Misc wrote:
Sorry, I simply cannot go with that.

And there lies part of the problem that will lead to the NHS breaking down the same way the emergency service has in Italy. If we collectively refuse to take heed of the advice given to us by the experts then we must count ourselves complicit in other people dying.

It has been widely demonstrated that people will ignore the advice and that will lead in stricter conditions for the whole of society. You think you're doing no harm by going flying because you fly from a private strip and do not come into contact with anyone. However, when you're up there enjoying yourself a number of people will look up and think that if you can do what you want then why shouldn't they. They might not appreciate you haven't been in contact with anyone in pursuit of your enjoyment but might then go out and enjoy their own hobby whilst potentially infecting others thinking the situation is not as grave as it actually is. Then another person sees them enjoying themselves and thinks they too will indulge in their hobby and so forth.

This is why the government had no option but to shut cafes, pubs, clubs etc. The herd saw others and followed suit.

We owe it to the health of others to take the responsible route and listen to the advice and stop being so bloody selfish.

People are dying, and hospitals are being overrun with more and more very sick people - I know, my brother-in-law is a doctor at the local hospital and he is livid that we, as a society, are just not listening and thinking that 'we' know better.

Take the lead, be responsible and save your enjoyment for when this is all over and feel good that you led by example.
derekf, ChrisRowland, lobstaboy and 4 others liked this