Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
G-BLEW wrote:
seanxair wrote:I didn't stay at home this morning. I rode my horse around the farm. Saw no-one.

How can that possibly be seen as believing I have the right to spread the virus?

To be fair, having both a horse and a farm to ride it on makes you a bit of an outlier when it comes to public health comms.

Ian
Edit, crossed with above.

Quite hence my point. Not everyone is in social contact if leaving their home.

And I fully support the isolation advice too by the way.
Last edited by seanxair on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Irv and I have occasionally over the past 12-15 years very pessimistically discussed 'what the public would do' in a case exactly like this today, eg: scenario til now was if bird flu mutated further and we ended up with 'stay at home' advice.
This discussion originated mainly because I was doing a Masterclass at Darrington (jn of M62 and A1m) and we were sitting in the corner of the pub there in the evening an suddenly found ourselves effectively trapped by someone sitting down near us, but on our escape route. She had the most awful cough. In between coughs, she explained to her friend whom she had joined there that she'd been really ill for over a week and even though no better, she was so bored at home she "had had to" come out to the pub. We fled to the other side of the pub, but had to pass her, and within 2-3 minutes of moving, she was coughing over us again whilst using some machine near where we sat. Within a couple of days, Mrs Irv was nastily ill for some weeks with the same cough and throat bug.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:The guidance can change at any moment... how often are we supposed to look at the NHS website?

You've got nothing else to do all day for the next several months, once you've done the day's bread baking.
Miscellaneous wrote:
A le Ron wrote:Sorry. We need one simple set of rules for everyone, as society has already demonstrated it cannot follow advice.

Sorry, I simply cannot go with that.

It’s really not difficult.

- I’m a sensible person. I. could quite safely go for a drive on the empty roads here in France to the airfield and go flying. What would be the risk?
- My neighbour, locked in upstairs, is a sensible and highly educated man. He could quite safely go for his normal Sunday run by the river. What would be the risk?
- The teenage boy, miserably locked in next door, is an intelligent kid and he could quite easily go rowing on the river as he used to. What would be the risk?
- The professional football player who lives just across the courtyard from me could quite safely go and do her fitness training in the park. She’s sensible and understands social distancing, so what would be the risk?

And if we all did it, what would be the difference from how things were before we were told to stay indoors to avoid killing people? The TV reports are filled with reports from hospitals in Italy, and increasingly in parts of France, and the situation in them is beyond horrendous. It’s perhaps not like that yet in the UK, and I hope it doesn’t become so. Maybe accepting a period of frustrating isolation, when we aren’t allowed to do things that any of us, individually, could do quite safely will prevent some of us, and particularly our older relatives and friends, for:dying prematurely and alone?
PaulB, Peter Mundy, lobstaboy and 8 others liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:@Adrian yip in agreement there Adrian, just don't think the whole population staying hime is the answer.

How many forumites are self isolating then?

As far as humanly possible for a family of four to do so. My healthy just over 70 in-laws live on the same farm but we are keeping our distance from each other.

We need to eat though so my wife has just gone to the local small supermarket for essentials.
Miscellaneous liked this
PaulB wrote:So what is the answer?

The answer is to be sensible and behave in a responsible manner. For people inclined to live this way staying home is not going to stop the 'idiots', as you describe. The answer is not to create greater problems than the virus by going too far.

@seanxair gives a very goos example of what seems sensible. :D
JAFO liked this
PaulB wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Adrian yip in agreement there Adrian, just don't think the whole population staying hime is the answer.

So what is the answer?

I think it is
- stay home unless you absolutely have to go out
- follow advice from people like A le Ron rather than random people on the internet like me
- accept that as intelligent, successful, relatively wealthy people who are often more used to making rules than following them, this is different and we need to follow instructions that most of us on our own may be able to disregard safely
- hope that if enough people follow the guidance we will get through this quicker than if we don’t.

Italy has had strict lockdown for 2 weeks. Yesterday 800 people died, and nobody will be attending their funerals. Today it is sure to be as many again, or more. Hopefully other countries can learn from their tragedy and lessen the impact.
PaulB, derekf liked this
- The professional football player who lives just across the courtyard from me could quite safely go and do her fitness training in the park. She’s sensible and understands social distancing, so what would be the risk?

(agree with where the rest of that quote was going).

Noting that since Saturday the whole of Italy has been banned from exercise outdoors even as individuals. (Widely reported on TV news channels).

People around the world need to wake up to what is not working in first world countries such as Italy. The previous lockdown conditions in Italy have been inadequate for whatever reasons (too late or not strict enough seem the most likely as the measures escalate).
It seems more likely that the UK will need to skip to the most restrictive measures in much less than 2 weeks if the UK does not want to be in the same mess as Italy with the number of deaths and positive tests and an overrun modern health service.
Cowshed liked this