Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Miscellaneous wrote:Some sensible comments there @masterofnone, thought I'd add this for a bit of balance.
Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England Dr Jenny Harries also warns against a "direct comparison" between virus case rates in Italy and the UK, saying this should be done with "caution".
1%.

We'll, this is why I alluded to the lack of rigour. The main point was to at least demonstrate why some may think this is a big deal, and why some Italians who were thinking the same thing 2 weeks ago, now aren't.

The real reasons for the disparity in casualty statistics are of course terribly complex (disparities in age, culture, smoking habits etc) and will be the stuff of a great many academic publications in years to come. I certainly have neither the data or domain experience to make anything other than knowingly naive comparisons.
Rob P liked this
Everyone, a request please.

Now, more than ever, we need to pull together as a society and that does include this forum.

The situation out there is clearly complex and fast-moving so there will always be something to criticise if one has a mind to do so - but please don't allow observations on here to veer into politics.

The next few weeks/months are going to be difficult and there is no script for any of us to follow in the enormously challenging balancing act between keeping as many people as possible safe and not crashing the economy.

Let's acknowledge that please, and avoid pointing political fingers.
G-BLEW, PaulB, kanga and 1 others liked this
We've had exactly the same debate at our gliding club as to whether to continue flying. The government guidance is very unclear. Government ministers are criticising people for not staying at home, yet the official government advice at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus is to stay at home if you think you have coronavirus, otherwise take social distancing measures. If the government advice is to stay at home, it would clearly be irresponsible to carry on flying. If the government advice is to take social distancing measures, then there is no objection to solo flying.
wigglyamp wrote:The government also says ‘Don’t make any unnecessary journeys’. I would consider driving to an airfield for a solo flight as an unnecessary journey, so I’ve definitely stopped flying for the duration.

What they have actually been saying is "Don't make any unnecessary journeys by public transport"
The advice today isn't significantly different:
wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds

always wash your hands when you get home or into work

use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available

cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze

put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards

avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus

only travel on public transport if you need to

work from home, if you can

avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas

avoid events with large groups of people

use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services