Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I see it there is nothing in any of the government announcements that requires them to close the airfield entirely.

However given the popularity of the restaurant (Especially with non fliers), it is easy to see how from a business perspective, they might take the view that “no restaurant = no business”.

We don’t know their personal circumstances, but they might have someone that is a “vulnerable person”, and that they might decided that allowing the public in is simply too much of a risk.

Whatever the reason, whether we like it or not, it’s their choice. We just hope they all stay healthy and can reopen soon.
lobstaboy, kanga, Cowshed liked this
Lefty wrote:As I see it there is nothing in any of the government announcements that requires them to close the airfield entirely.

I sincerely hope that they are closing airfields because they have no users. There is no sane reason for GA pilots to be leaving their homes if they're not flying urgent medical missions.
bencoder, GAFlyer4Fun, IMCR and 1 others liked this
By Lefty
Gertie wrote:
Lefty wrote:As I see it there is nothing in any of the government announcements that requires them to close the airfield entirely.

I sincerely hope that they are closing airfields because they have no users. There is no sane reason for GA pilots to be leaving their homes if they're not flying urgent medical missions.

I have to take exception to your statement.
Why should GA pilots not leave their homes ???

Have the government banned all enjoyment whilst I’ve been asleep?

If I get into my car, drive to an airfield, climb into a (my) plane, fly around for a while (just enjoying the joy of flight), then get back into my car and drive home - without meeting or touching another soul - what is wrong with that?

Or in your world should we all be banned from going for a walk, a horse ride, a bike / motorbike ride, or even a drive in the country?
Get real - please.
There are enough nimby’s trying to stop our hobby without you supporting them.
Kemble Pitts, Rob L, Kittyhawk and 21 others liked this
By skydriller
Gertie wrote:There is no sane reason for GA pilots to be leaving their homes if they're not flying urgent medical missions.

Really?? Go on, explain how driving all by myself (or even with the family I share the house with) from my house to the aerodrome, getting the aeroplane out and taking a flight either by myself or with said close family, is in any way likely to endanger myself or anyone else in getting or spreading COVID-19??

I started writing a long diatribe about the current rules here in France, police states, and common sense, but I dont want to be rude. I would say exercise your right to fly sensibly while you can, because I cant...

Regards, SD..
FrankS, Lefty, tomshep and 7 others liked this
I really can't credit the stupidity of the post above

Sandra and I are confined together. Today we climbed into the car, drove to Old Buckenham, dragged the RV out, flew for an hour, put the aircraft away and drove home.

In all that time the closest we came to another human was to watch a Cherokee depart Old Buckenham.

Yet special hours are dedicated for me at Sainsbury and Iceland where I can go and rub shoulders with unknown people.

Get real FFS!

Rob P
IMCR, G-JWTP, Nick and 8 others liked this
Rob P wrote:I really can't credit the stupidity of the post above

Sandra and I are confined together. Today we climbed into the car, drove to Old Buckenham, dragged the RV out, flew for an hour, put the aircraft away and drove home.

In all that time the closest we came to another human was to watch a Cherokee depart Old Buckenham.

Yet special hours are dedicated for me at Sainsbury and Iceland where I can go and rub shoulders with unknown people.

Get real FFS!

Rob P

Which post above Rob?
Rob P, PeteSpencer liked this
Living with somebody just identified by the NHS as vulnerable means that's me done flying for the time being.

I'd already prepared for this moment being trained in Risk Assessment. Red x Red.

I was struck by the Italian doctor on Sky News a couple of minutes ago begging people in Europe to stay home.

Her eyes.

Her eyes said it all.
GAFlyer4Fun, kanga, Gertie liked this
I think temporary airfield closures will become more common.

People can be carriers of the virus before showing symptoms.

Airfield staff generally have no idea of our private lifestyles or habits so they cannot know who is a carrier of this virus.

It is not just about contact with people... a surface could become contaminated for some time and we would not know it. I have not seen any official news state how long the virus can survive on surfaces of different materials away from a human.

The severity of this virus has been completely underestimated by the medical experts let alone pilots.

Wearing gloves will not eliminate that risk as any virus can transfer to the gloves and then onto another surface which might be the face, the aircraft, the car, the house....
In Italy the critical care doctors and nurses are getting infected and ending up in intensive care.
The same is happening in the NHS - Today two Ear,Nose and Throat consultants are receiving critical care after contracting the virus from patients.

As most GA pilots do not have their own personal airfield, if a GA pilot had been well isolated and then went for a flight and somehow caught the virus they would feel pretty stupid and regret it if it could only have been caught on that day out.

The risk of the virus hopping around the country increases with a land away. The airlines proved this on a larger scale.

Looking at FR24 today... given it was such a nice day, very few GA aircraft were flying suggesting many are not going to take the risk.

The TV news advice today has been stay at home, and do not have visitors.
The TV news may say that, the official NHS advice is :
wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
always wash your hands when you get home or into work
use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
only travel on public transport if you need to
work from home, if you can
avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas
avoid events with large groups of people
use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
JAFO liked this