Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:That is the evidence from South Korea and Singapore who have curbed the spread by fastidiously and aggressively isolating large parts of their population.

Having lived in South Korea, I can tell you nothing unites and motivates the population more than a serious threat to their country. It helped, in this case, that laws with roots in anti-communist legislation allowed the authorities to identify, trace and locate virus contacts from information provided by credit card companies and mobile phone providers, something that would require special powers in many countries.
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.... We're all being asked to stay at home if at all possible. Some (here and elsewhere) believe that it doesn't apply to them.

Your failure to acknowledge it is at odds with your inability to explain how the innocent may be affected.

Truth is it more critical in some areas than others.
Simply stating fact @PaulB, you made a very emotive post you can't substantiate. Which is pretty much nonsense.

I've just been a walk, 7km over an hour 50. Passed one English woman up visiting her son. Maybe she should have self isolated on arrival and not been out a walk. Passed a jogger with foreign accent, I guess a tourist. Maybe she should have stayed home, or not been out jogging. I notice neighbours not due to their second home till June are back. I passed mother and grandparents at swings with 2 toddlers. Now there are a couple of innocents.

Do I fault any if them? No.

Do I consider any of them idiots no.

EDIT: I see you deleted your post this was a reply to. :wink:
PaulB wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@PaulB I'll ask one last time. Do you acknowledge your statement was somewhat emotionally charged and stirred raw emotion in others without having much literal validity? :wink:

No.... We're all being asked to stay at home if at all possible. Some (here and elsewhere) believe that it doesn't apply to them.

The thing is, we aren't!! Some are interpreting the advice as that though. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be, but if that's what we should be doing they should say so. It's leading to arguments, not just here but in our houses!
Everyone should do what they can to stop coronavirus spreading.

Do
wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds

always wash your hands when you get home or into work

use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available

cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze

put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards

avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus

only travel on public transport if you need to

work from home, if you can

avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas

avoid events with large groups of people

use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services

Don't
do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean

do not have visitors to your home, including friends and family
JAFO liked this
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@PaulB how does it go?

rules are made for the guidance of... :D

During my walk I thought hard about why there appears to be such a divide on the forum. I concluded the two candidates for main influencers are:

One's age bracket and/or perceived vulnerability. Understandably I think the more vulnerable one feels the more the tendency to favour everyone staying home.

One's location. Those in urban areas where diagnosed rates and population density are high are again understandably going to be more concerned and in favour of folks staying home. As would I. :thumright:

What I'm asking people to understand is that we are not all in that situation and branding everyone who decides to go out as an idiot is unwarranted.

The risk of me giving coronavirus to someone on my walk tends so close to zero as to be zero. I guess the risk of me getting it would be slightly higher, but tending so close to zero to be zero. Nevertheless I consider the benefits of getting out, both mentally and physically, is infinitely greater than the risk.

On the other hand the risk of me falling down the hill and doing some damage, although close to zero was significantly greater than the coronavirus risk. It occurred to me the greater risk of all was getting hit by a car on the single track roads.

We don't normally take anything the govt says so literally, that in itself is an anomaly. :D

As Steve Slater suggests, the risk of an accident as a consequence of lost currency is far greater (at the present time) than the theoretical risk from coronavirus. :thumright:
Just watched the latest press conf.

Everyone was unanimous in saying it is absolutely fine to go outside for a walk etc., as long as you maintain social distancing. The benefits to mental health associated with getting out and about exceed the risks.

The advice is absolutely -not- that you must stay at home and not go out at all unless you're in the group of people who are going to be written to next week.

Can't we just put this nonsense to bed?!
Tim Dawson, PeteSpencer, JAFO and 7 others liked this
By PaulB
Last edited by PaulB on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.