Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
With some management types one gets a feeling that they are always looking for a reason to close. Close correlation with clipboards, high-vis jackets and an overwhelming desire to be seen to be taking decisive action.

I am presently involved with managing a premises (as landlord) for a pub operator which has asked our advice. The line at the moment is that unless the government mandates you close, or you can't get enough staff to open because they're all ill, then stay open. Precautionary closures without real direct cause other than "due to the Covid-19 outbreak" do more harm than good and just foster a sense of the world coming to a standstill.

"How will we pay the staff"? Well, for now, with the money you're not spending on your business rates because they've been suspended for 12 months. Then go to a skeleton staff because you're not going to be busy. Then apply for one of the grants the Chancellor has made available.
By defcribed
Pete L wrote:Knowing how dynamic Turweston are...

Given they have a 7-page rules and procedures document written in a pompous, high-handed style for a basic, unlicensed airfield, I suspect the school of management they've been to is unlikely to be similar to my own.
defcribed wrote:

Given they have a 7-page rules and procedures document written in a pompous, high-handed style for a basic, unlicensed airfield, I suspect the school of management they've been to is unlikely to be similar to my own.

Def'
I'm based at Turweston.
It is not possible for you to be more wrong :)

SL
G-BLEW, Bobcro, FrankS and 5 others liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:

Have you ever actually visited Turweston and met Chris and the team?
pilotbarry, G-BLEW, Rob P and 5 others liked this
I applaud the action taken by Turweston. We are asked to act responsibly with regard to Social Distancing and when I visited the other week, their popular cafe was packed and it was too cold to venture out on to the balcony.
Far better that they continue to look after their core business, which is after all, Aviation.
It is far better to ensure that the personnel entrusted with maintaining continued operations of the airfield and its main businesses are adequately segregated from risk of debilitating infection.
Take a Thermos and a packet of biscuits with you and make the most of the pleasure that flying brings us.
Shoestring Flyer, Morten, pilotbarry and 6 others liked this
By ThePipster
defcribed wrote:Given they have a 7-page rules and procedures document written in a pompous, high-handed style for a basic, unlicensed airfield, I suspect the school of management they've been to is unlikely to be similar to my own.

Sorry I can't let that go, that comment is utter b*ll*x, Turweston is most definitely better run and managed than many othe GA airfields.

The cafe was closed following the Govt advice to the public regarding avoiding cafes, pubs restaurants etc. The previous evening the plans had been to keep the cafe open with a reduced number of tables to keep greater distances between diners, however flying in the face of Govt advice would have been seen to be irresponsible .

The airfield remains open and the team have taken sensible steps to keep this operating and the staff and visitors safe. Knee jerk mangament would have shut the whole place down, that didn't happen.

Right at this time people trying to do the correct thing in difficult times don't need snide and unwelcolme bashing from someone on an internet forum that obviously only has a small part of the picture.

Not happy :pale:

Pipster
ak7274, Pete L, mick w and 24 others liked this
stevelup wrote:
defcribed wrote:Given they have a 7-page rules and procedures document written in a pompous, high-handed style for a basic, unlicensed airfield, I suspect the school of management they've been to is unlikely to be similar to my own.

You couldn't be more wrong...

Well, to be fair, he's right that they went to a different school of management.
stevelup, mick w, FrankS liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
There are two things wrong with Turweston.

(1) It's in the middle of nowhere

(2) It has no instrument approaches or runway lights.

If it wasn't for (1) I'd be spending half my leisure time there, or flying from there. If they fixed (2) I might anyhow.

Just about the friendliest, most laid back, well run airfield I can think of in the South of England right now - taken over in my mind from where Popham used to be.

The cafe closure is pretty obviously necessary in the present environment.

G
pilotbarry, Iceman, G-BLEW and 3 others liked this