Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By oldbiggincfi
TG6 wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:
chevvron wrote:Even they are only letting you in one at a time. Just sent the wife out for a bottle of Cava. Big fines tomorrow if you go out in pairs.
Deadly hush about the place.

How are the authorities keeping you informed and have they given any idea of when restrictions will be lifted on the island?

A speaker van came-round this morning bellowing in Spanish, which I do not understand.
The frightening thing is how quickly authority has taken control.
Really heavy restrictions.
I mean total lock down with blue tape everywhere.
No personal movement except for one individual going for food or medicine.
One only in a car unless leaving for the airport.

patowalker wrote:The state of alarm is in place for 15 days from 14 March, but is renewable.

All very clearly set out here. :)

The problem is there are a lot of upper middle aged people here to enjoy the sun and social bars restaurants etc.
Most do not speak Spanish and want to go home, probably never to come back.
Undoubtedly the economy will suffer .
And like me who worked hard to get an ATPL will find the same downturn for pilots as I did in the 1970’s .
By oldbiggincfi
Thankfully we managed to get back late last night but not without difficulty .
Our original flight was cancelled and had to rebook on a rescue flight . Even up until I saw the flight leaving Southend was I sure that is was going to happen , some flights did not.
Car hire offices closed, so we booked a Taxi to take us to the airport. Taxi driver would only take one passenger and I managed to get another shortly after letting my wife go. Sure enough , police stopped us to check the number on board and the purpose of journey.
There was no option for us to stay. All hotels were cleared of guests and closed as were short term local rentals . Long term residents were in total lock down as described previously. Nothing but nothing moved.
Here in the UK , people are not taking this with the same degree of seriousness.
My daughter living in Geneva , working for an international company reports of Italian colleagues
losing family members in large numbers with out the ability to remove the dead from houses .

My wife had to shop this morning finding families with children just as normal.
I picked my dog up from the Kennels by car, passing through a small town and a village . It looked like a normal Saturday Morning , Traffic much the same,

What appalled me was to see groups children collecting together on street corners and the usual small shop as if nothing has changed . Do the parents realise the schools have shut for good reason ?

It's just not fair . The young may survive but grandparents and parents possibly may not .
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Gertie
Miscellaneous wrote:groceries delivered to the house

Wot's that then?

A typical supermarket releases delivery slots three weeks ahead, and no matter when you check the web site they're all gone - looks like someone grabs all the slots with a bot the second they're released, just like buying gig tickets.

What I haven't done yet is check ebay to see how much slots are being resold for.
By Gertie
oldbiggincfi wrote:Do the parents realise the schools have shut for good reason ?

The schools haven't shut. Not only are they staying open during normal school hours for children of various key worker groups and other categories, but they're also opening during the school holidays to provide child care. So in fact schools are going to be more open than usual.
By chevvron
Gertie wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:Do the parents realise the schools have shut for good reason ?

The schools haven't shut. Not only are they staying open during normal school hours for children of various key worker groups and other categories, but they're also opening during the school holidays to provide child care. So in fact schools are going to be more open than usual.

And the kids will be kicked out on the streets when their parents go to work. :roll:
By TheFarmer
What appalled me was to see groups children collecting together on street corners and the usual small shop as if nothing has changed . Do the parents realise the schools have shut for good reason ?

It's just not fair . The young may survive but grandparents and parents possibly may not .

Sorry, but I find your comment rather hypocritical given that you chose to go abroad at the start of this outbreak, knowing full well that restrictions were about to be imposed!

You will have risked more lives whilst enjoying your holiday, wandering around the airports, going to cafes and bars, sitting on an aircraft for 3:30 hours and generally enjoying yourself than a few kids on a street corner.

So, I’m sorry, but to say ‘it’s just not fair’ rather sticks in my throat.

JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
oldbiggincfi wrote:The young may survive but grandparents and parents possibly may not .

Just spoken to my Mother who was telling me she had been on the phone to a distressed friend. The distress was due to the friend's daughter, despite being specifically asked not to, visiting her mother with her two daughters. Mother's friend's daughter is in the CID, not that that is significant, but somehow I would expect then to know better. Not only is my Mother's friend in the at risk age category, her husband is also vulnerable due health. He had to spend the duration of his daughter's and granddaughters visit in a bedroom. :wall:

A forumite shared an interesting story about the attitude of the young the other day. I don't feel it my place to repeat, however it indicated a divide.
By oldbiggincfi
TheFarmer wrote:

Sorry, but I find your comment rather hypocritical given that you chose to go abroad at the start of this outbreak, knowing full well that restrictions were about to be imposed!

You will have risked more lives whilst enjoying your holiday, wandering around the airports, going to cafes and bars, sitting on an aircraft for 3:30 hours and generally enjoying yourself than a few kids on a street corner.

TheFarmer wrote:

I assume you Know excatly when I travelled !
TG6 liked this