Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
That's an interesting question. If I choose to get into my car, drive to the not particularly populous Old Buckenham, drag the RV out and fly across the country on a sightseeing trip am I isolated?

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
@Rob P providing I can buy fuel paying at the pump, or don't need fuel, it would be difficult to argue I was not isolated, as I imagine would be the case if you flew the RV as described.

That's why it is critical to get the definition and instruction right.

If isolation is defined as being housebound that's clearly not workable.
By GAFlyer4Fun
The low flying rules mean you will be much more than 2 metres separation from the next ground based person that you pass whilst airborne. Sounds isolated, particularly if flying solo and don't land away.

Question is whether lock down would allow driving to an airfield... in Europe the general public are only allowed out to buy food and medical supplies.... which is not something you can normally buy in a GA aircraft at 2000 ft ! (assuming airfield cafe is closed when all the other cafes are ordered to close).

Question is how long does the virus survive on any potentially contaminated communal facilities such as door handles, fuel pump handles etc without further human contact? Contamination could be by contact by hand or cough or sneeze. If wearing gloves enroute to the aircraft, the gloves could become contaminated from touching surfaces that third parties can come into contact with so using the same gloves to operate the aircraft presumably contaminates the aircraft for a while. Different gloves for touching the aircraft?
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
So if I head for Sainsbury in Attleborough, even under lockdown rules the airfield is (arguably) on route.

The rules would need to stipulate 'direct route' to food or medical supplies. I guess I might need to send Sandra out to fuel the car. There's self serve fuel pumps at Old Warden for the RV and the public aren't allowed airside. Disposable gloves would seem to be in order.

Of course it's all rather silly and unenforceable and relies on common sense - but the bog roll panic seems to indicate that is in somewhat short supply.

Rob P
Charliesixtysix liked this
By oldbiggincfi
Rob L wrote:Look on the bright side..the internet is working!

I'll send my man on a pack horse to meet yours halfway .
They won't shake hands .
We're lucky but I am hoping you are not suggesting I am using the privilege of modern technology.
Let's get through this with a little humour.
Serious I know but with a sense of pro portion.
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:So if I head for Sainsbury in Attleborough, even under lockdown rules the airfield is (arguably) on route.

At your age Rob doesn't lockdown mean housebound with groceries delivered to the house?

Rob P wrote:Of course it's all rather silly and unenforceable and relies on common sense

Really, the Spanish may not agree (nor did the Chinese). :shock:
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:At your age Rob doesn't lockdown mean housebound with groceries delivered to the house?

Apparently not.

The government is to release social distancing advice for elderly people on Monday - but they will not yet be asked to self-isolate for long periods.
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:Apparently not.

The government is to release social distancing advice for elderly people on Monday - but they will not yet be asked to self-isolate for long periods.

As reported yesterday, it will announced in the coming weeks…apparently. :roll:

I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to it than they are letting on?

I'm struggling to get my head around the unprecedented action.
By Charliesixtysix
Miscellaneous wrote:At your age Rob doesn't lockdown mean housebound with groceries delivered to the house?

Ah, that explains Rob’s prepping purchase of the UAV - click and collect? :thumright:

Alternatively, my home ‘makes’ food and the aeroplane lives next to the house so I’m pondering setting up a home delivery paradrop service ( on a cost share basis of course....).

Now where is that CAA exemption for dropping articles form ? :wink:
Miscellaneous, kanga liked this
By Rob P
He'd have to fit a DV window first though.

Rob P
By TG6
oldbiggincfi wrote:
chevvron wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:All bars and restaurants closed . Total lock down .

Even they are only letting you in one at a time. Just sent the wife out for a bottle of Cava. Big fines tomorrow if you go out in pairs.
Deadly hush about the place.

How are the authorities keeping you informed and have they given any idea of when restrictions will be lifted on the island?
By Rob P
oldbiggincfi wrote: Just sent the wife out for a bottle of Cava.

Not a bad substitute if you can't get hand sanitiser :lol:

Rob P
By TG6
patowalker wrote:The state of alarm is in place for 15 days from 14 March, but is renewable.

All very clearly set out here. :)

Thanks - I was looking in the wrong place.