Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 28
#1755975
:pale:

Just on the news, in Italy 39 medics passed away as a result of Corona, 18 were GPs.
#1755978
Miscellaneous wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Some time back we discussed personal freedoms, and I wrote that people's freedoms stop where they encroach other people's rights..

I get your point FD. :thumright:

However. :D

Prior to Tuesday's announcement there was quite an emotive discussion regarding whether we should fly or not. It was suggested a reason not to fly was to prevent others being encouraged to participate in their choice of activity. I hadn't considered that and have given it a lot of consideration since. Would that not be (at the time) asking pilots not to participate in what is their right to fly to pander to the hard of thinking and, on the basis the pilot is not responsible for the actions of all others, it was wrong to suggest we shouldn't fly?

In other words we were being told exercising our right to fly was unacceptable.

I think I know your response but interested in what it will be. :D


1. The current situation is very unusual and apart from the argument that we should not put extra stress on overstretched services it would also be my view that we all need to be seen to toe the party line - even where it (at the time) was not prohibited to fly for pleasure.

Where possible I think one should try to be on the right side of history.

2. That does not mean that I don't think one cannot do things that not everyone can do, either from an ability or affordability point of view; to say I came from nothing would do injustice to the hard work my parents did to give us what they thought we needed ( the 'cane' and a good education!) but had to work for everything I have achieved so no problem the few perks that gives; I do think that I have a responsibility that others by applying talent and hard work can achieve their full potential.

The latter is something that is very hard in today's UK.

If it became more of a meritocracy (again?) then that would be great.

PS: if that is what you anticipated then that is fine by me; I like to think that people understand that it is WYSIWYG here. :D
scd975, kanga liked this
#1755990
Thanks @Flyin'Dutch', that is indeed just about spot on with the reply I expected. :thumright:

The truth is I agree that, on reflection, not flying would have been the right thing to do for me (although I would not have faulted anyone choosing to fly), but not for the hard of thinking, more in spite of them for the benefit of anyone that their actions as a consequence of seeing me fly may adversely affect. That grates though. It becomes tiresome having to continually modify one's actions to save others from third parties. But heh, it beats being either the others or the hard of thinking third party. :D
Quilpie liked this
User avatar
By flybymike
#1756031
Waveflyer wrote:Just been outside and the village high street responded well to the 8 o’clock thanks to the NHS workers :thumleft:

A response in our street too, rapidly followed by a gaggle of neighbours who took the opportunity to have a group huddle and a chat at close quarters at the bottom of the street....

Similarly I noticed on the news that plod is using drones to identify people walking on their own in the middle the countryside, because they had made a “non essential journey” to get there, presumably instead of getting their exercise in the urban environment which they had escaped from, and where the risk of contact with others would have been significantly greater.

Meanwhile no drones in sight to spot the group of five teenagers collectively blocking the pavement alongside our local urban council housing estate.
#1756036
Indeed: Me 'n' 'er indoors dutifully clapped our socks off: The noise of applause and spoons on tins all around us was deafening.

The NHS truly are heroes and I say that with complete admiration and without irony to my former colleagues who are battling with little or no protection, not five minutes from where I sit.

There were two CV deaths at my former DGH in last 24 hours.

As I clapped and listened to the noise and contemplated my own mortality I got a brief mental flash of a TV clip last month of Ethiopian farmers banging on pans to scare off a plague of locusts.

Peter
kanga liked this
User avatar
By Adrian
#1756060
Pilot H wrote:Personally, I'm looking forward to G-BLEW's flight test in the May edition...


Me too. And without any of his normal disdain for performance numbers. We need takeoff distance, rate of climb, maximum cruise and range numbers! :D
G-BLEW liked this
#1756097
peter272 wrote:The flying clubs and schools where we have built up relationships with instructors and rent club aircraft are going to take a big financial hit. If the shutdown is prolonged, some won't survive in their current form. Similarly airfield owners.


Interestingly, it seems L3 are setting themselves up to be fine in these times given they sent a cadet off on a ~500nm Solo QXC yesterday. There may be more but I only happen to 'follow' the cadet which completed it.

Clearly a different memo than the rest of us had, but definitely quite jealous given the weather we're missing out on.
User avatar
By skydriller
#1756103
flybymike wrote:I noticed on the news that plod is using drones to identify people walking on their own in the middle the countryside, because they had made a “non essential journey” to get there, presumably instead of getting their exercise in the urban environment which they had escaped from, and where the risk of contact with others would have been significantly greater.


I would have thought plod would have better things to do than take a pleasant drive out into the countryside to play with a drone... :roll:
flybymike liked this
By Aeronca Alan
#1756108
Steve Slater, LAA CEO writes (and a moderator has made it a sticky):
Travel to airfields for leisure flying cannot be regarded as ‘essential travel’. We therefore do not recommend members travel to their airfield except to check on the security of their aircraft and facilities when absolutely necessary. If you do, …

There may be cases where inspection or maintenance work can be justified, but if this is necessary, please ensure the ‘social distancing’ advice is adhered to and cross-contamination precautions are taken.


Surely this is absolutely wrong advice and it should be removed? Under no circumstances in law are we (other than to undertake our normal paid work) permitted to travel to an airfield.
By Aeronca Alan
#1756110
Aeronca Alan wrote:Steve Slater, LAA CEO writes (and a moderator has made it a sticky):
We therefore do not recommend members travel to their airfield except to check on the security of their aircraft and facilities when absolutely necessary. If you do, …

There may be cases where inspection or maintenance work can be justified, but if this is necessary, please ensure the ‘social distancing’ advice is adhered to and cross-contamination precautions are taken.


Surely this is absolutely wrong advice and it should be removed? Under no circumstances in law are we (other than to undertake our normal paid work) permitted to travel to an airfield.
  • 1
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 26
  • 28