Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rdfb
GonzoEGLL wrote:Sadly it is. Many hospitals' ICUs are already full. If I, or you, get sick I would very much like there to be capacity within the emergency services and hospital system to treat you or me, and not someone who had a forced landing, or crashed his or her car on the way to the aerodrome to go for a flight. etc etc etc.

I think that's a specious argument. The increased burden on the NHS from people who are changing their habits trying to follow the rules is surely multiple orders of magnitude higher, to the point where any increased burden from aviation-related accidents is surely insignificant. Let alone the increased burden on the NHS by a bunch of aviators flying while less current, as will surely happen in a few months.

A much stronger argument is that if we're all seen to be doing our part in following the rules, some of the ones who are breaking them in an actually dangerous way might be influenced into falling in line. I'm pretty sure that this is one way to reduce the burden on the NHS that is far more effective than the reduced risk of someone having an accident flying.

I have not been flying even before the restrictions to reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus to those I care about. But I refuse to support the idea that flying is dangerous for the reason you gave. It plainly isn't.
By johnm
As I frequently point out it's never that simple. I am reminded that Bader lost his legs and wrecked a valuable aircraft playing silly buggers and became a burden on the hard pressed medicos and then somehow contrived to become a hero to some.
GonzoEGLL liked this
rdfb wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:Sadly it is. Many hospitals' ICUs are already full. If I, or you, get sick I would very much like there to be capacity within the emergency services and hospital system to treat you or me, and not someone who had a forced landing, or crashed his or her car on the way to the aerodrome to go for a flight. etc etc etc.

I think that's a specious argument. The increased burden on the NHS from people who are changing their habits trying to follow the rules is surely multiple orders of magnitude higher, to the point where any increased burden from aviation-related accidents is surely insignificant. Let alone the increased burden on the NHS by a bunch of aviators flying while less current, as will surely happen in a few months.

A much stronger argument is that if we're all seen to be doing our part in following the rules, some of the ones who are breaking them in an actually dangerous way might be influenced into falling in line. I'm pretty sure that this is one way to reduce the burden on the NHS that is far more effective than the reduced risk of someone having an accident flying.

I have not been flying even before the restrictions to reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus to those I care about. But I refuse to support the idea that flying is dangerous for the reason you gave. It plainly isn't.

Sigh.

I didn't say flying is dangerous, or more dangerous than usual.

But anything we do that raises the level of risk is not good right now. Be that using a chainsaw to cut down a tree in my back garden, to driving 5 miles to a farm strip to get in my Cub.

There are lots of arguments for us to follow the law right now, and no good reasons not to do so.

Again, we've been told to stay at home for a few weeks.

It's not difficult to comply.
johnm, Waveflyer, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By johnm
Oddly enough I was using a chainsaw yesterday and was even more conscious than usual of the need for care...…
By cotterpot
And I too was using a chainsaw yesterday. What a coincidence.

I had to go shopping for milk - and cat food, this morning so used motorcycle, as I deemed protection from all my gear once in shop is much better than arriving in t shirt and shorts :thumright:
By James Chan
... or crashed his or her ... on the way to ...

I suppose the same can be said for a ride in any vehicle on the way to anything outside the four government permitted categories.
No doubt some people will think that this is an emotive post but I am going to make it anyway.

Some time back we discussed personal freedoms, and I wrote that people's freedoms stop where they encroach other people's rights.

Now, I would not for one second suggest that I would not tend to anyone being ill for whatever reason, be it smoking, overweight, or other activity which can limit one's lifespan or health.

I'd quite appreciate it though if people took reasonable pre-cautions not catching this virus as capacity is limited and we don't have protective gear in general practice.

*Apropos chainsaw accidents- commonest cause for claiming on Loss of License insurance in the US.
kanga liked this
By James Chan
This incident took place before the lockdown, which was announced at 8:30pm the same day.

Everyone was entitled to do things "responsibly", while being mindful of social distancing measures before that point.
johnm wrote:Oddly enough I was using a chainsaw yesterday and was even more conscious than usual of the need for care...…

Can't go to the tip, so had to get out the old wood chipper. My labour was pleasantly interruped by someone calling out to ask if I was patowalker. Details withheld, in case they result in another lecture on here. :)
kanga liked this