Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 76
  • 77
  • 78
  • 79
  • 80
  • 86
By Crash one
#1769462
Boswell wrote:Would it be cynical to suggest that an airfield operator, benefiting from the 80% gov. deal is better off financially remaining closed, rather than opening with the hope of attracting a few landing fees?


I wouldn’t call that cynical. In fact I think a few airfield owners will sell up to the housing developers blaming Covid 19 for their demise.
#1769481
tripacer wrote:With multiple people flying each day, what are you doing about cleaning the plane between flyers? The advice I've read suggests that the virus can survive "2-3 days" on hard surfaces.


On that cruise ship, they found it living in the cabins 17 days later.

Boswell wrote:Would it be cynical to suggest that an airfield operator, benefiting from the 80% gov. deal is better off financially remaining closed, rather than opening with the hope of attracting a few landing fees?


Do most of them need staff? Just say everything's closed, go and fly if you can, make your own circuit calls.

The only reason some of them need staff is to collect landing fees...
User avatar
By alexbrett2
#1769483
Paul_Sengupta wrote:On that cruise ship, they found it living in the cabins 17 days later.


They found traces of RNA, that's very much not automatically the same thing as a viable virus that could infect somebody...
By dr107flyer
#1769536
https://britishmarine.co.uk/coronavirus

British Marine is delighted to confirm that, from today, all forms of watersports, including the use of privately-owned motorised craft, can go ahead.

In guidance issued this morning (13 May 2020), Government have confirmed that;
“All forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed.”
By mlawton
#1769547
So reading between the lines ,the CAA can't make their minds up about resuming recreational flying and have given us no decision and guidance at all. Can we fly tomorrow and this weekend if done safely and not landing away? Who would complain and take action? The lockdown police? All done at a decent height and keeping away from populated areas?
By tripacer
#1769557
mlawton wrote:So reading between the lines ,the CAA can't make their minds up about resuming recreational flying and have given us no decision and guidance at all. Can we fly tomorrow and this weekend if done safely and not landing away? Who would complain and take action? The lockdown police? All done at a decent height and keeping away from populated areas?


On the contrary, the CAA/DoT have made up their minds, and have given us guidance: "...the previously issued guidance precluding recreational flying continues to apply, and we would be grateful if you could help us ensure this message is shared throughout your associations, and across the sector."

For those that point out that even though this is unambiguous guidance, it is not a legal prohibition, then no further guidance is needed anyway, surely?
JAFO liked this
By rdfb
#1769563
tripacer wrote:
mlawton wrote:So reading between the lines ,the CAA can't make their minds up about resuming recreational flying and have given us no decision and guidance at all. Can we fly tomorrow and this weekend if done safely and not landing away? Who would complain and take action? The lockdown police? All done at a decent height and keeping away from populated areas?


On the contrary, the CAA/DoT have made up their minds, and have given us guidance: "...the previously issued guidance precluding recreational flying continues to apply, and we would be grateful if you could help us ensure this message is shared throughout your associations, and across the sector."


I think you're quoting that out of context. Just before the part you quoted they acknowledged that the guidance is now out of date and they're working on updating it. So they haven't made up their minds - they are in the process of doing so. The part you've quoted just means that they're treating their out-of-date guidance as still their position in the meantime.
#1769564
Miscellaneous wrote:@Crash one I'm disappointed to see you posting. I thought you had gone flying! :wink: :D


Flat battery, flat (nearly) tyres, stale fuel.
Fuel drained and refilled, battery on charge now, tyres blown up, bird schit cleaned up. Weather? Tomorrow if poss.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Skylaunch2
#1769569
mlawton wrote:So reading between the lines ,the CAA can't make their minds up about resuming recreational flying and have given us no decision and guidance at all. Can we fly tomorrow and this weekend if done safely and not landing away? Who would complain and take action? The lockdown police? All done at a decent height and keeping away from populated areas?


Again, CAA have washed their hands of it and have pointed at DfT.

If your airfield is open, give it a try and you'll probably be fine. If like most it remains closed in the absence of further guidance, you're outta luck.
  • 1
  • 76
  • 77
  • 78
  • 79
  • 80
  • 86