Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MattL
It’s great news to have some movement, but that period 29 March - 12 April looks like we could be performing a massive human factors experiment on people deciding to get airborne when they could do with seeking instruction. I wouldn’t like to be the on call AAIB inspector that week
JodelDavo, AlanC, Cessna571 liked this
By creepydave
Anybody know what this paragraph means both stage 1 and stage 2
Coronavirus (COVID-19): General Aviation
GA activities should take place in line with the wider restrictions. Travel should be minimised as far as possible.
MattL wrote:It’s great news to have some movement, but that period 29 March - 12 April looks like we could be performing a massive human factors experiment on people deciding to get airborne when they could do with seeking instruction. I wouldn’t like to be the on call AAIB inspector that week

At least we've been here before, this is part two of your human factors experiment, granted we've now had a year of on/off flying but we faced similar challenges after lockdown where we'd had an awful winter in early 2020 until the sun came out at the start of lockdown one. The whole of May and June nobody could fly with an instructor.
flybymike liked this
By C1FF
Apparently we can leave the house for recreational purposes as of 8/3/21. Does anyone know if any statute stops us from flying solo (for recreational purposes) from that date.
The DofT advice says we can fly as of 29/9/21 but I am not sure whether this is legally underpinned or merely a recommendation.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
C1FF wrote:Apparently we can leave the house for recreational purposes as of 8/3/21. Does anyone know if any statute stops us from flying solo (for recreational purposes) from that date.
The DofT advice says we can fly as of 29/9/21 but I am not sure whether this is legally underpinned or merely a recommendation.

No idea.

If you need to go to a particular place in the meantime by air for something other than recreational purposes, you probably can. You certainly can by car. I believe there are a number of Screwfix branches around the country, for example. I also know of at least one branch of Tesco with a strip within walking distance.
By Paul_Sengupta
chipmeisterc wrote:I have a friend with terminal cancer I've been desperate to take up for a first flight since the end of last year.

I would say that if you isolate your whole family for a fortnight beforehand, just go and do it.
By Red
As happened last year, unlike England the Welsh assembly is not giving out any advice/guidance on the legal resumption of recreational flying in Wales
What's the general thoughts of those based in Wales?, April 12th would seem to be the logical assumption.
I suppose I could claim lack of information and just go for it on March 29th
By foxmoth
Not sure what the rules in Wales are but the CAA also covers Wales so I would say as long as the Welsh rules are not over ruling what is in their I would follow the CAA guidelines - there is a thread on that further down on the forum
By ArthurG
As I understand it, Welsh GA is governed by the CAA. What has prevented me flying is the "stay home" prescription which applies to non-essential travel in Wales. This stops me being allowed to drive to the airfield. All the indications are that we will very soon have the right to travel around Wales. From the 29th, we will be able to fly solo.
By BoeingBoy
As happened last year, unlike England the Welsh assembly is not giving out any advice/guidance on the legal resumption of recreational flying in Wales
What's the general thoughts of those based in Wales?,

I've had extensive communication with the Welsh Governments Aviation Team over the last year. The position is as stated above in that they have no jurisdiction over their airspace, only on travelling to the airport. If the rules allow you to get to the aircraft it's up to the UK DfT as to when you can fly and what you can do, and that, as so many of our legal experts are quick to tell you, is only guidance.

Since the Dark Lord of Cardiff has decreed you may travel for external exercise and leisure (but should stay local) you will be legal to fly Solo/Social Bubble from March 29th.

From 13 March
Stay at home restrictions are lifted. People are permitted to travel within their local area.

4 people from 2 households (excluding any carers or children aged under 11 from either household) can meet locally outdoors, socially distanced.

Outdoor sports courts, including golf courses reopened.

https://gov.wales/coronavirus
flybymike, ArthurG, MikeB liked this
By JJMurphy
Is anyone else like me still struggling to get the clarity on what we can / cannot do from Monday? I get it...I can fly solo or with members of my household. I can now legally travel to/from the airfield but can I land anywhere? If I take off in England do I have to land in England until April 12th? After April 12th I can land in Wales too?

I had hoped we'd get some clarity from the CAA on this via their webcast this week. Their response was...this is a Dept of Transport issue and one for them to clarify. The guidance on their website is vague at best with regards to anything other than when you can fly solo and when you can fly with an instructor.

I predict I will default to the "I'll make a sensible decision for myself" option which sadly the government seems to have removed the option on for many aspects over the last 12 months.

Interested to know if any airfield is restricting the option to land away from next week?
By JodelDavo
JJMurphy wrote:Interested to know if any airfield is restricting the option to land away from next week?

When I read the latest 'guidance' from the CAA & DfT, there's nothing that says you have to stay local. I'll be venturing out and about as soon as I can.

I guess it's up to the individual aerodromes. Some will stay closed, some will welcome visitors as always.