Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:GA is certainly taking advantage of the £30 for 30 minutes of approaches offer at Southampton but I’m not sure that any are actually landing. You normally arrange over the phone, paying by card.

Iceman 8)

Looks expensive compared to Southend’s offer.
By skydriller
AndyR wrote:Looks expensive compared to Southend’s offer.

I wonder how many pax/day are going through Southend right now?
By AndyR
VFRBimbler wrote:AndyR - I thought Southend’s offer was for circuits rather than approaches.

You have a point....and I’ve looked it up. ILS approaches to a touch and go are charged the same as a low approach and go around, but yes it is more than the VFR rate. :oops: Apologies.
By Cardinal Sin
Class 2 medicals back on

I've just been called by my AME who had cancelled my 2nd December Class 2 appointment owing to the CAA ban on such things, to say that Gatwick has been "eating humble pie" and Class 2 medicals are back on again.
By tripacer
Peter Kelly wrote:Quite right too. This was the most ridiculous piece of gold plating ever attempted by the CAA. They should be ashamed and make a public apology (I know they read stuff on here).

Yes, and we could perhaps tar and feather them and then string them up. Or we could accept that they made a mistake and put it right, and we all move on.
AndyR, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
The government advice (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-aviation) has been updated again to reflect the end of the current restrictions from 2 December.

It once again endorses GA flights of all types and purposes, but unfortunately continues to peddle the nonsensical notion that tier 1/2 and tier 3 should be deemed segregated:

You should avoid travelling into Tier 3 areas except where necessary, such as for:
- work or education purposes
- urgent engine health, maintenance check flights, and flights to maintain currency only, where alternative options are not available

Any flights that take place in Tier 3 areas should land at the same airfield from which they departed

Compliance with this guidance would render me totally unable to fly, as the place I live is in tier 2, whereas the airfield where my aircraft is based is in tier 3 :roll:

Hopefully this will lead to a reduction in the number of airfields that have closed purely in an effort to prevent others' enjoyment of an inherently "Covid safe" hobby (with the apparently unimportant side effect of disrupting those who don't just fly for pleasure).
By flybymike
Even tier two prevents separate households mixing indoors.
How do we theoretically get into the clubhouse to deal with paperwork etc ? Presumably staff are “working” but not the playboy flyers.
By Cardinal Sin
flybymike wrote:Even tier two prevents separate households mixing indoors.
How do we theoretically get into the clubhouse to deal with paperwork etc ? Presumably staff are “working” but not the playboy flyers.

You’re on a premises which is supposed to have carried out a risk assessment and put mitigation procedures in place, like the QR code check in etc. That’s why it’s different from “mixing” indoors with friends. .
johnm, JAFO, flybymike liked this
By skydriller
Cardinal Sin wrote:You’re on a premises which is supposed to have carried out a risk assessment and put mitigation procedures in place, like the QR code check in etc. That’s why it’s different from “mixing” indoors with friends. .

Ah right, that'll be one of those places with arrows on the floor, that usually end up pointing you at an exit door that was an entry door...but still has the "no exit" sign on your side... so you then ignore the arrows and wander over to the original exit with the big sign saying "exit", which is now an entry... :?
Of course none of this really matters because there are only a few of you there anyway, but just as you find a door that is open, someone will hurry up to you and ask why you are not following the arrows clearly marked on the... :roll:

Regards, SD..

PS. Ive always hated IKEA too.. :furious: :guns:
johnm, flybymike, WelshRichy and 1 others liked this