Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
T6Harvard wrote:Thanks @flyingearly , I had assumed that may be the date, given that hairdressers and nail bars can open and that's also close contact and unnecessary, iyswim.

Soooo, less than 6 weeks of glorious flying weather to tease us until then!?

Therefore, allow me to make my Daily Express-esque prediction:

We're going to have 6 weeks of unseasonably warm weather until 11th April and then the weather will turn cr@p. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
Or, we'll have six weeks of lovely weather until 11th April and, by then, the great British public will have manged to feck it all up again and the dates for the release of lockdown will have to be put back.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Stay at home finished end March. That’s when we are planning to recommence leisure flying and training.
AOPA say probably 12 April as driving schools have accepted that date. I have pointed out that it is AOPAs job to represent us, not wait to see what driving schools do.
D of T advice will be considered.
flybymike, Charliesixtysix, AndyR and 1 others liked this
By flybymike
JAFO wrote:Or, we'll have six weeks of lovely weather until 11th April and, by then, the great British public will have manged to feck it all up again and the dates for the release of lockdown will have to be put back.

Don’t worry, no matter what we do, project fear will have managed to come up with plenty of new mutations and reasons to keep us all incarcerated indefinitely.
By JAFO
flybymike wrote:Don’t worry, no matter what we do, project fear will have managed to come up with plenty of new mutations and reasons to keep us all incarcerated indefinitely.

We have more to fear from Project D!ckhe@d than we do from Project Fear, not least because there are so many people working on it.
A4 Pacific, johnm, Danny and 7 others liked this
By proteus
I've not heard of this project. Is this people who are concerned about loss of individual liberty by oppressive governments?

I thought the story of sexual assault from the woman who was forced to quarantine in a Candian hotel where the locks were removed from the doors and where they are told they cannot post on social media or tell anyone where they are was kind of chilling.

As for an individual going flying by themselves without the need to interact with anyone. We know there is no covid risk.
flybymike liked this
By flyingearly
proteus wrote:As for an individual going flying by themselves without the need to interact with anyone. We know there is no covid risk.

Not to open the cupboard door again, but just to clarify that on this thread there is a mix.

Some of us (including me) unfortunately do need to interact with someone - I need a check flight with a club FI to enable me to rent.

As frustrating as I'm finding it, it must be 10x more frustrating if you don't even need an interaction with another human being!

So, 29th March for individuals/owners/groups
12th April for clubs/schools.

Bahhh!
By proteus
flyingearly wrote: but just to clarify that on this thread there is a mix.

I agree with you. And there is variation, that's where I feel individuals should make their own decisions.

I'm just against blanket bans when it's clearly nonsense.

I've got to start thinking about my BFR which is coming up. I'm hoping things will have opened up enough by the time I need it.

I feel for those who aren't able to fly because of club rules, etc. I'm also concerned there may be a significantly increased mechanical failure rate once things do start moving again.
flybymike liked this
By JAFO
proteus wrote:I've not heard of this project. Is this people who are concerned about loss of individual liberty by oppressive governments?

Not necessarily, I think that most people working on the project have very little concern for anything but themselves although I grant you, on the Venn diagram where Project Fear, Project DH and Project Liberty are shown, there might be some considerable degree of overlap.
johnm, A4 Pacific, Red liked this
flyingearly wrote:
proteus wrote:As for an individual going flying by themselves without the need to interact with anyone. We know there is no covid risk.

Not to open the cupboard door again, but just to clarify that on this thread there is a mix.

Some of us (including me) unfortunately do need to interact with someone - I need a check flight with a club FI to enable me to rent.

As frustrating as I'm finding it, it must be 10x more frustrating if you don't even need an interaction with another human being!

So, 29th March for individuals/owners/groups
12th April for clubs/schools.

Bahhh!

Remember, all the dates with the exception of March 8th were "no earlier than" :(
kanga, JAFO liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
flyingearly wrote:... Some of us (including me) unfortunately do need to interact with someone - I need a check flight with a club FI to enable me to rent. ...

Some of us in syndicates have the same problem.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-lockdown

Step 1 - from 29 March
People will no longer be required to stay at home.

This will allow the safe restart of GA flying for non-professional purposes for solo pilots, or individuals flying with a member of their household or bubble.

Training for professional pilots, or those in training to be professional pilots, will be able to continue.

Training for leisure or recreational purposes should not take place.

GA activities should take place in line with the wider restrictions. Travel should be minimised as far as possible.

Step 2 – no earlier than 12 April
Flight training for all pilots, and flights with an instructor, can resume.

GA businesses will be able to open following COVID-Secure guidance, for example commercial balloon operators. The rules on social contact will apply in these settings. Outdoor gatherings must still be limited to 6 people or 2 households, and no indoor mixing will be allowed.

GA activities should take place in line with the wider restrictions. Travel should be minimised as far as possible.
PropPeter, lobstaboy, ls8pilot and 2 others liked this
By foxmoth
A lack of consistency with open cockpit which prior to lockdown was permitted under the open air recreation ruling so should again run from 29 March.
By lobstaboy
malcolmfrost wrote:Remember, all the dates with the exception of March 8th were "no earlier than" :(

Step 1 is committed to now. That is March 8th AND March 29th.
Subsequent steps and dates are "no earlier than".
And I'm glad to see that the just published guidance for GA reflects this.