Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
lobstaboy wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:Remember, all the dates with the exception of March 8th were "no earlier than" :(

Step 1 is committed to now. That is March 8th AND March 29th.
Subsequent steps and dates are "no earlier than".
And I'm glad to see that the just published guidance for GA reflects this.

Thanks for the correction :D
By JAFO
foxmoth wrote:A lack of consistency with open cockpit which prior to lockdown was permitted under the open air recreation ruling so should again run from 29 March.

And which everybody complained about then. They can't win.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
foxmoth wrote:A lack of consistency with open cockpit which prior to lockdown was permitted under the open air recreation ruling so should again run from 29 March.

And which everybody complained about then. They can't win.

Why would anyone complain about this? I can understand them complaining about not being able to fly closed cockpit but anything more is just jealousy!

The rule on open cockpit seems to have gone and now is more sensible.

Why more sensible? - not much chance on passing on bugs in separate cockpits and a 90kt wind, so a lot different from sitting next to someone in a Pa28 or even a C152 with the windows open! I would also point out that for many pilots the chance to fly anything dual before jumping in their aircraft solo has to be better than just taking the chance and going off solo
Last edited by foxmoth on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PropPeter
foxmoth wrote:Why more sensible? - not much chance on passing on bugs in separate cockpits and a 90kt wind, so a lot different from sitting next to someone in a Pa28 or even a C152 with the windows open!

Because from 29th March it's only permitted solo or with members of your household/bubble. If you're going to give it to them you'll give it to them whether open or closed cockpit.

Flight with others from outside your household/bubble aren't until the 12th April relaxation.
flybymike liked this
By foxmoth
If you're going to give it to them you'll give it to them whether open or closed cockpit.

Have to disagree with that, I fly both and would be way more exposed to bugs etc in closed cockpit! You still need to take precautions before and after, but once the prop is going there really is VERY little chance of anything being passed.
JodelDavo liked this
By PropPeter
Yes, I do agree with that, but my point is that if they are in your household or bubble then you'll be in close contact with each other when you see each other whatever you are doing, so flying is just like getting in a car with them, and hence open/closed cockpit doesn't make a difference because of the other things you are likely to be doing together, if that makes sense.

I agree with your point when the situation is different households, and I guess that is why that is held back until after the 12th April date.
T6Harvard, flybymike liked this
By foxmoth
And that was the point of my post, that pre lockdown it was not confined to family/bubble and should be the same after 29 March - after the 12 April it won’t make a difference anyway
Flight with others from outside your household/bubble aren't until the 12th April relaxation.

Does that include me being able to take pax or purely in the context of training? I was under the impression from my brief read through that we'd have to wait until 17th May?

(Very) happy to be corrected..

I have a friend with terminal cancer I've been desperate to take up for a first flight since the end of last year.
MachFlyer liked this
By flybymike
Yes, I do agree with that, but my point is that if they are in your household or bubble then you'll be in close contact with each other when you see each other whatever you are doing, so flying is just like getting in a car with them, and hence open/closed cockpit doesn't make a difference because of the other things you are likely to be doing together, if that makes sense.

I’ve been known to sleep in the same bed as my wife.....
chipmeisterc wrote:

Does that include me being able to take pax or purely in the context of training? I was under the impression from my brief read through that we'd have to wait until 17th May?

(Very) happy to be corrected..

I have a friend with terminal cancer I've been desperate to take up for a first flight since the end of last year.

Strictly speaking, you'd need to wait until 17th May.

Both the broader guidelines (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021) and the DfT interpretation for GA (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-lockdown) suggest no earlier than 12th April for flight training with an instructor, but still no indoor mixing of households then.

So:

8th March for solo flights or flights with your household bubble
12th April for general GA training to resume, inc check flights with an instructor
17th May for taking pax up who are not in your bubble

At least, that's my read of it. All dates no earlier than, with the exception of 8th March.
Flying_john liked this
By A4 Pacific
8th March for solo flights or flights with your household bubble
12th April for general GA training to resume, inc check flights with an instructor
17th May for taking pax up who are not in your bubble

8th of March for solo flights? Dft guidance says 29th March.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.