Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
Are there restrictions on GA between European countries (yet)? Presumably they would be disseminated by NOTAM if there were?

I was planning to go to Middelburg in NL tomorrow and can't decide if this would be unwise.
Robin500 liked this
By matthew_w100
CAT4R4TTA wrote:Forbidden I don't know, unwise for sure

*More* unwise than staying in the UK?

From the health point of view I haven't interacted with the unwashed for at least seven days and I don't have a fever. And I plan on wearing gloves when I'm there.

The only *additional* risk I can think of is that the Dutch may not want me or the border may get closed - especially bad if I'm already there!

Or should we all be saying "No, I'm not going anywhere because population mixing is bad". Which applies equally well to travel within the UK. And it sucks to be an airfield operator, struggling after the worst winter in memory.
Iceman liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Probably unwise to travel to Europe full stop.

Whilst you might not have the virus going out, you wont know until it is too late if you are bringing it back!

Alternatively if you picked it up in the UK but were not showing symptoms you might be exporting it inadvertently. I don't think the Dutch would be too impressed if you did.

Also, as more european countries go into lockdown... you could be there a lot longer than planned or end up in quarantine somewhere which will be no fun.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Yes it is a very difficult time for airfield operators. Even home based aircraft may have pilots that travel quite a long way, and that is before they fly to another airfield. So there is a risk of someone on at a GA airfield spreading it to different parts of the county or country.

The UK is probably not far away from only being allowed out to buy food and medical supplies.

Austria for example now has bans on gatherings of more than 5 people.

Some might say we would have less of a mess to deal with if the border with China was closed in the very early days. Yes a hardship for the people there... but arguably better than allowing it to infect the world through modern worldwide transport networks. Same with the people quarantined on cruise ships. A hardship for a few hundred compared to the hardship of millions of people.
JAFO liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unless we impose a total ban on people leaving their houses and mixing with and potentially infecting others in their own country, statements like you might pass on the infection to someone in another country are somewhat irrational.

Looking at FR24 today, I don’t think that one small aircraft carrying one or two people is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

You are no more likely to catch / infect somebody else in the Netherlands than you are here.

Iceman 8)
reimomo, neilmurg, brentford77 and 2 others liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Iceman wrote:Unless we impose a total ban on people leaving their houses and mixing with and potentially infecting others in their own country, statements like you might pass on the infection to someone in another country are somewhat irrational.

That is equivalent to saying it is impossible for a virus to be spread by commercial flights. Yet this is the most likely way it go across the planet so quickly compared to the days of the horse n cart.

It may be irrational, but the consequences are more and more countries going into lock down.
A bit like closing the (Chinese border) gate after the horse has bolted.
By neilmurg
The countries with control over the spread are: China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, best for us if we move there.
The virus is spreading WITHIN each country as well as crossing borders. Effective control measures are required within each country.

Those people on the cruise ship weren't 'quarantined'; healthy people were kept in close proximity to the virus with no effective controls. That's why so many of them got sick.

It's here now, lets deal with it and leave the 'he who smelt it dealt it' to the WHO report in 2021/2
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:That is equivalent to saying it is impossible for a virus to be spread by commercial flights
No it really isn't, not even slightly.
How was your plan of closing the border BEFORE they know they've got a novel virus that spreads asymptomatically going to get triggered?
reimomo liked this
By BoeingBoy
Your best advice is to keep checking this page and news channels for the latest updates. Also contact the airport you wish to use for local restrictions along with your alternate.

Sadly whilst you might well get over there without issue the way things are moving getting stuck in situ is a high risk.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
By Rob P
With the restaurants and bars in France closed as of midnight yesterday I can't see any great point in travelling there for the time being.

If I needed cheerless places where I can't get a decent meal or a drink and where I don't speak the language, Wales is a lot closer.

Rob P

(actually it isn't, but the piece doesn't really work otherwise)
Rob L, patowalker, aligee and 5 others liked this
By Peter Mundy
All catering establishments in NL now closed.

EHDR
+
AIRPORT TEMPORARY CLSD DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) OUTBREAK.