Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm sorry, but Farnborough has been so hawkish with their pricing and mandatory handling policies of their own runway and keeping "undesirables" out , that even a scholarship (as great and welcoming as it is), would be very quickly eaten away by a few landings there.
By PeteSpencer
TC_LTN wrote:FFS! What do they have to do? Let's just celebrate a scholarship to fly for somebody under 50 who might also positively contribute to the Flyer Forum one day.

Well done Farnborough Airport and HCAP, I say.

You mean you don’t see the contradiction where their generous help to a PPL trainee to allow him / her to learn to fly GA , , because of their antipathy to GA usingFarnborough , and their recent airspace grab , means that to take advantage of that generosity, the successful candidate has to go to another airfield/FTO because Farnborough has driven its own Training Establishments away?

Seems plainly ironic to me

Peter :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a classic PR response for a company facing lots of adverse publicity.

Transparent and unlikely to achieve a great deal in the way of opinion change.

Good for the recipient though, but my cynical side suspects they may not be unknown to the organisation.

Rob P
cirrostratus liked this
James Chan wrote:I'm sorry, but Farnborough has been so hawkish with their pricing and mandatory handling policies of their own runway and keeping "undesirables" out , that even a scholarship (as great and welcoming as it is), would be very quickly eaten away by a few landings there.

It's not the fault ot the airport operators, the local planning condtions applicable to Farnborough Airport imposed by the local authority specifically prohibit the use of the airport by FTOs apart from the Farnborough Aero Club (originally the RAE Aero Club) which has been in continuous operation since 1923 and was thus granted 'grandfather rights'.
By skydriller
PeteSpencer wrote:Seems plainly ironic to me

Me too...No doubt there will be some PR photos of the lad at farnborough too at some point.

But well done to the chap with the scholarship. :thumleft:

Regards, SD..
Mike Tango wrote:I’m not sure if providing the scholarship for around ten years plus counts as ‘a classic PR response for a company facing lots of adverse publicity’ or not?

What would I know, only having been involved in the world of marcomms and PR since the early 1970s?

I expect you are correct and it's pure altruism.

:roll: