Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
So, taking the advice of a couple of people above (and a link in an old thread) I've applied online for the LAPL. As was said above, it's got to mean more options but I will continue to explore shares, microlights and SLMGs. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of places within an hour of me where I can at least give them a go.
Kemble Pitts liked this
@townleyc I can't honestly say but having both licences might just give me a chance of continuing to fly EASA aircraft for a while. There's a derogation allowing it for the NPPL until April and an exemption allowing LAPL with PMD until the same time. It's possible that neither will be extended and I'll be forty quid worse off but if only one is extended then I'll still be okay, whichever one it is.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am thinking of starting a scam where I charge £100 to everyone asking me your question and alternately answering yes and no, with the personal guarantee that if my information is wrong, they can have their money back.
kanga, PaulB, townleyc and 7 others liked this
There are only a few medical conditions where specific LAPL guidance is published. Otherwise it is up to the discretion of your AME guided by the DVLA Group 2 standards. The bar for the LAPL with OSL or OPL is quite low and I would be surprised if you could not qualify at all for a LAPL certificate.
By JAFO
Thanks @tailbob , I'm as fit as a flea now but previous surgery would mean that I had to spend flying money on expensive tests so there comes a time when you have to weigh stuff up and make the decision not to go down that route and I think that's where I am.
By Irv Lee
TheFarmer wrote:So, I’m confused.

Can I still fly my Jodel (Permit) on my LAPL with my self declaration medical?

I believe so, (but the CAA announcement forgot about EASA permit aircraft, so if you had such a thing, the answer would be no. There is no point in worrying about a correction, as the majority won’t have read the original anyway)
It’s all about whether the aircraft is EASA or not, so previous licence medical combinations valid on non-EASA aircraft are not affected.

I’m not sure why the CAA press release referred to ‘certificated’ [aircraft] in several places, I think it just meant it in the EASA vs non-EASA sense, but it could have been read as having some implication for permit vs certified aircraft, which is not the case.
By ozplane
Just a thought. I fly a non-EASA aircraft on an NPPL plus PMD. However I usually do my "hour with an instructor" on a Cessna 172. Will this still be OK after April? It would seem inconsistent to be "approved" on an EASA type then not be allowed to fly it solo.
Rjk983 liked this
By PaulB
ozplane wrote:Just a thought. I fly a non-EASA aircraft on an NPPL plus PMD. However I usually do my "hour with an instructor" on a Cessna 172. Will this still be OK after April? It would seem inconsistent to be "approved" on an EASA type then not be allowed to fly it solo.

Presumably your hour will be PUT so yes?