Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Skylaunch2 wrote:
It's good of you to quote the regulations, which is entirely correct from the rulebook, but unless you are privy to the aerodrome operators local exemptions from the regulator which from previous discussions, you are not connected to Lasham. I would therefore be very surprised if you would know the detail in a public domain and be able to say what can and can't be done. The frequency is operated in line with the dispensation that has existed for a number of years now and operates safely.

That's at variance with what I, as an ROCC examiner, was told last year however the CAA have a record of granting 'grandfather rights' dispensations to some operations eg the use of radar at Lasham for SRAs without an associated aerodrome control service.
By Skylaunch2
chevvron wrote:That's at variance with what I, as an ROCC examiner, was told last year however the CAA have a record of granting 'grandfather rights' dispensations to some operations eg the use of radar at Lasham for SRAs without an associated aerodrome control service.

At variance it may be but grandfather rights exist and based ROCC examiners I know are aware. If you were a current ATS Inspector I may be more surprised but I don't see why ROCC examiners would be told about individual exemptions. Much like as an Aerodrome Operator I am not aware of exemptions other airfields may have.

For the avoidance of doubt the same policy exists at a number of other gliding airfields that were allocated their own frequency due to the level of activity.
Talkdownman liked this
By Iceman
I routed Blackbushe to Lydd today with fully active Farnborough airspace. I routed back along the south coast and straight through Southampton via SAM and out to the west. Despite having read the Solent NOTAM on airspace closure at 1500, I was quite nervous transiting their airspace with no answer (and none expected) on the normal Solent Radar frequency that I checked multiple times. As I was transiting, I was thinking to myself, either you read the NOTAM correctly and you’ve got the correct frequency selected or it’s hello Mr. Gasco infringement course for me :shock:.

Iceman 8)
Charles Hunt, flybymike, idlelayabout and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
@Iceman, I was just thinking that the French solution of an airborne transmission triggering a recorded message confirming airspace status could be quite handy in these circs.
Iceman, Charles Hunt, Stu B and 3 others liked this
By Iceman
Biggin were busy as I went through their overhead with three biz jet departures, all on a Dover 2 departure, within the space of the few minutes that I was on frequency.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chevvron
JSAG wrote:It only took one bloody week.

After all the reassurances at the briefings about clearances from the ground and enough controllers we get this:

2. Heathrow ATC have withdrawn from the unofficial “agreement” for VFR class D Transit’s via the Chobham/Longcross/Bracknell Route. This route is now withdrawn.

Since I read this, I've tried to keep an ear for transits passing overhead ( I live about 3nm from Fairoaks brg about 280 deg) and I've heard about 10 fixed wing transits per day so Heathrow are allowing them presumably on random tracks exiting west between Bagshot and Bracknell.
By kanga
chevvron wrote:..
Since I read this, I've tried to keep an ear for transits passing overhead.. I've heard about 10 fixed wing transits per day so Heathrow are allowing them presumably on random tracks ..

I wonder if they'll allow (S)VFR light GA Transits on 'random tracks' (subject to Rule 5, obviously :wink: ) ... :)
By wigglyamp
I went to Turweston last week from Fairoaks and got Heathrow transits in both directions with no problem. Glad to see it works.
Now decided to stop flying until the ‘no non-essential travel’ request has been withdrawn as it’s just not worth the risk of getting or transmitting contamination.
PaulB, ChrisRowland, Stampe and 3 others liked this
By chevvron
kanga wrote:
chevvron wrote:..
Since I read this, I've tried to keep an ear for transits passing overhead.. I've heard about 10 fixed wing transits per day so Heathrow are allowing them presumably on random tracks ..

I wonder if they'll allow (S)VFR light GA Transits on 'random tracks' (subject to Rule 5, obviously :wink: ) ... :)

By 'random tracks' I meant something to 'clear' the VFR transit to leave/join somewhere between Bagshot and Bracknell such as 'on track WOD'.
In the long gone days when Talkdownman was Watch Manager at Thames Radar/Heathrow SVFR and I was Watch Manager at Farnborough, with Heathrow on easterlies we 'agreed' once or twice for Farnborough to use the 'airshow' slot ie south of a line OCK - WOD not above 1,500ft to save having to co-ordinate all the time.
As this bit of airspace isn't 'essential' for Heathrow operations apart from H3 traffic it's a pity they don't do this again on a more official basis.
kanga liked this