Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Gertie wrote:..the usual rule applicable to English public life, that if you actually know anything about the subject under discussion you have to declare an interest and leave the room?

.. a 'financial interest' (of the Councillor or, eg, a close relative) would indeed generate a requirement to leave. Other interests should be 'declared', but what would be a declarable or even disqualifying interest may often be a matter for the individual Councillor's judgement or conscience, or that of fellow Councillors or the Chief Executive (what used to be called the 'Town Clerk') once the declaration was made. AFAIK, pertinent technical knowledge or expertise is not a disqualifying interest. I doubt that holding a driving licence disqualifies a Councillor from discussing traffic or parking schemes :)

ISTR some years/decades ago when a contentious planning issue affecting a local airfield went to an Inspector followed by a Public Consultation involving Public Meetings. At the first of these, the Inspector in the Chair mentioned that, being a private pilot, he had informed himself of the surrounding geography by flying over the area. There was instant rancorous uproar from the airfield's opponents in the meeting, who complained that being a pilot he should have recused himself from the Inspection exercise and the Chair. I do not recall the outcome for the Inspector or the airfield.
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gertie wrote:
kanga wrote:a joint oversight board of Councillors

Would I be right in guessing that none of those councillors are pilots, in keeping with the usual rule applicable to English public life, that if you actually know anything about the subject under discussion you have to declare an interest and leave the room?

It's not quite as Kanga describes, it runs as a limited company. The board was restructured when I left two years ago, with my old job being split into two; a commercial and operational role. Each of the shareholders (Gloucester City & Cheltenham Borough Councils) appoints one Councillor to the board, which is made up of 3 executive and 7 non-executive directors. In my time, there was a quarterly forum for reporting back to the shareholders, I assume that's the same.
kanga liked this
Robin Mosedale wrote:As a 'resident' for some 35 years, mostly attributable to enjoying the 3 runway facilities, professional ATC, and friendly ethos, I'm relocating to Coventry

A very telling move. Out of interest have you impressed the reason for your decision on the Ops Fuhrer and, if so, did you get a reaction?
Kemble Pitts wrote:
Robin Mosedale wrote:As a 'resident' for some 35 years, mostly attributable to enjoying the 3 runway facilities, professional ATC, and friendly ethos, I'm relocating to Coventry

A very telling move. Out of interest have you impressed the reason for your decision on the Ops Fuhrer and, if so, did you get a reaction?

Nope, can't be bothered. My cash, my choice.
Robin Mosedale wrote:Top of Stanway Hill. Coventry 1 hour away. Glos 35 minutes.
Facilities clubs flexibility decent exam/instructors

Sad to hear it but the rapid deterioration of the place makes it understandable, Sure that all is left behind would appreciate you making your feelings clear to the “management” as you leave....letter, email, thump on the desk, may make a difference to the current course....
JulietTango, Rob L liked this
Robin Mosedale wrote:Certainly not. It's up to them and as this is my real name rather than a pseudonym I'd rather not get it in the neck if and when I land there

“ The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.“....someone once said, allegedly.....enjoy your new home, hope you aren’t forced out again without making your opinion known...other than an internet site.... :roll: :roll:
JulietTango liked this
kanga wrote:
Gertie wrote:..the usual rule applicable to English public life, that if you actually know anything about the subject under discussion you have to declare an interest and leave the room?

.. a 'financial interest' (of the Councillor or, eg, a close relative) would indeed generate a requirement to leave. Other interests should be 'declared', but what would be a declarable or even disqualifying interest may often be a matter for the individual Councillor's judgement or conscience, or that of fellow Councillors or the Chief Executive (what used to be called the 'Town Clerk') once the declaration was made. AFAIK, pertinent technical knowledge or expertise is not a disqualifying interest. I doubt that holding a driving licence disqualifies a Councillor from discussing traffic or parking schemes :)

I do know the rules, I lived by them for fourteen years. Whenever Marshalls came up I declared an interest and stayed put. But I exaggerated only slightly.

The "close relative" thing is a complete nonsense, of course. I'm supposed to know all the details of my brother's investments, for example? So I always made sure that "to the best of my knowledge and belief" was on there somewhere.