Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CAT4R4TTA
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulB wrote:It taught me a new word. Emmetropia.

Fancy one isn't it?! :D

Just throw it into a random conversation at some point and you'll see the effect! It has worked for me many times :D:D
PaulB liked this
By PaulB
CAT4R4TTA wrote:
PaulB wrote:It taught me a new word. Emmetropia.

Fancy one isn't it?! :D

Does it imply normal vision including normal accommodation?
By CAT4R4TTA
PaulB wrote:Does it imply normal vision including normal accommodation?

Means no visual defect.

Then when you typically get to 45 you need glasses for near. We still use the word "emmetropic" but technically is emmetropic for distance and presbiopic (for near).
By kanga
CAT4R4TTA wrote:.. presbiopic (for near).

<classicist nerd :oops: >

presbyopic ('old person vision', from Greek; cognate with Presbyterian etc)

</>

'presbiopic' would presumably be a movie about the life of Elvis :)
patowalker, Kittyhawk, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By JSAG
Thanks for all the replies and info guys.

The good news is I passed my Class 2 on Monday , including eye test but as I said in the original post I had been given a warning by the ophthalmologist.
If I do find any deterioration I will take elective surgery.
For me the most important thing is flying and flying safely.

Cheers
John
kanga, Rob L liked this
By CAT4R4TTA
Great, and if you need to have the cataract done so be it...you will only be delighted afterwards
By Billstone
I had one cataract....I found out by leaning over my optician while he typed up my notes. The nurse at the hospital was a legend, as he was injecting my eye I asked him what it was like the first time he did this "Scary", he replied, "and this is it".
The other eye was ok, but the hospital said what the hell, we can't leave you unbalanced, we'll do them both . And result, I went from -5 diopteres to 20 20. Cool or what??
By Rob L
Here's a question for CAT4R4TTA ( not to do with cataracts, but an eye question in general):

I am the only member of my family in living memory who has not needed glasses since childhood.
My parents, my grandparents on both sides, my great-grand parents on both sides; my three siblings and all their children (my nephews and nieces). My cousins (many, on both sides of the family) ; all have all needed glasses since childhood.

I'm 57 years old, and only in the last three or so years have I started to use reading glasses (usually only in poor light or for detailed, close-up work).

I don't look like my Mother's milkman; I am my elderly father's spit 'n' image. :cheese: So I know it's not "that"!

Is there a reason why I could not have the "eyesight gene" that has affected everyone else?

Rob
By akg1486
I have progressive reading glasses that work up to ca 10 feet; always seen fine on longer distances. This winter I've experienced some blurriness also on 10+ feet that the optometrist couldn't figure out how to correct. A visit to an ophtamologist showed that I have early stages of cataracts in one eye. I was recommended to wait with corrective surgery for now.

The reason I post is to say that I found this thread really comforting. I'll do my class 2 renewal exam in May and I feel prepared to discuss my options. And it's good to know that possible surgery is a definite option when needed. So thanks to all previous posters for that! :thumleft: The forum is really a great resource.
T6Harvard liked this
By UV
After being told I had cataracts about 8 years ago I had the early operation to fit multi focal IOLs.

Before the op I was wearing quite strong varifocal glasses. Since then I have worn nothing.

Not only has it dramatically improved my peripheral vision, my optician tells me I have the vision of a 20 year old!

I had it done privately at Moorfields and it was the best money I have ever spent.

I very occasionally see halos, but only when I think about it.

It’s a great shame the CAA do not approve it, maybe just for private flying.
By MikeW
Would cataract surgery automatically require one to go from a PMD to a class 2?
By Rob P
I have had surgery within the last couple of months on both eyes.

I meet the legal standard to drive, so my PMD remains valid. But as I will at some point want my Class 2 back I have kept my AME informed.

Billstone wrote: ...as he was injecting my eye ...

For anyone facing this procedure, no injections were used in my procedures that I was aware of.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', flybymike liked this