Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TC_LTN wrote:
profchrisreed wrote:Just to add to the confusion, if I am flying my glider IFR (but not in cloud) I do of course need to comply with IFR rules. But they only dictate my choice of FL if I am in level flight, not if I am climbing or descending.

Post adoption of SERA, gliders, just like everyone else do need to be radio equipped to operate IFR in a Class G as per SERA 6001.

Well spotted. Doesn't actually say you have to use it though. :(

[There are some BGA 'rules' about making calls to deconflict with other gliders when in cloud - there's a frequency for that purpose. I usually end up doing that and/or trying to get a radar service if one is available].

Paul
bilko2 wrote:Can one of the experts tell me how MATZs fit into this. I assume they are not class D so same VFR criteria as class G ??

See ENR 2.2
A MATZ acquires the status of the airspace classification within which it lies.
Talkdownman wrote:
bilko2 wrote:Can one of the experts tell me how MATZs fit into this. I assume they are not class D so same VFR criteria as class G ??

See ENR 2.2
A MATZ acquires the status of the airspace classification within which it lies.

But the AIP isn't the law....
AlanM liked this
My trip to Kemble last year routed towards the Fairford MATZ. Talking to Brize LARS I was told it wasn't active so discounted it from my route planning.

So checking NOTAMS or enquiring with London Info or another LARS provider would seem advisable.
By flybymike
xtophe wrote:If we fo this route, MATZ don't apply to civvies so no question to answer

If one can infringe an uncontrolled class G ATZ which requires no permission to enter, one wonders these days whether the same applies to a MATZ.
PaulB liked this
But the AIP isn't the law....

But in this context it effectively is, because the AIP is the means by which airspace is notified for the purposes for all the airspace classes in SERA, ATZs and all the rest...it doesn’t set the rules, but has the effect of applying a particular rule set to a particular chunk of airspace.

A MATZ is not notified in the AIP for any particular rule, nor are there any rules in SERA, the RoA or the ANO requiring civil pilots to observe it or make contact with the controlling authority.
rdfb, PaulB, flybymike liked this
By PaulisHome
I've realised that there are two consequences of this conversation which affect me when I've got my gliding hat on.

1. If I ask for a Class D crossing in my glider (don't laugh, I do it occasionally), I probably ought to be asking for a Special VFR or IFR clearance, since I definitely want to use all the sky up to cloudbase. Actually nothing has changed here - if the cloudbase had been less than 3000 ft, I wouldn't have been crossing Class D before anyway.

2. The new conspicuity codes - 7000 for VFR and 2000 for IFR mean that I should probably be flying around using 2000 not 7000 in my glider, since I'll be climbing to cloudbase, above 3000 ft, even in Class G. So I'll be IMC part of the time, so I need 2000.

Hmm.

Paul
ls8pilot, AlanC, AlanM liked this
By PaulB
Can you request SVFR in a CTA? I had in my mind that it was only available in a CTR, but am probably wrong.

If you have an SVFR clearance and are closer to cloud than SERA mandates for VMC flight are you technically IMC?
PaulB wrote:Can you request SVFR in a CTA?

No. A SVFR Clearance is only available within a CTR. It originated as a 'special concession' to permit access/egress to those who would be unable to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules in less than VMC, hence the requirement for separation. It's not available within a CTA because one should be able to fly VFR or IFR unfettered beneath it.

PaulB wrote:If you have an SVFR clearance and are closer to cloud than SERA mandates for VMC flight are you technically IMC?

Yes. Not VMC = IMC.

IMC but not IFR = Special VFR, which requires separation from IFR which, in a CTR, is usually Public Transport which contains passengers paying to be protected somehow. SVFR must also be separated from other SVFR...for their own good, as they muddle along at low level in less than VMC...

Special VFR flights are not to hinder IFR flights.
By flybymike
No. A SVFR Clearance is only available within a CTR. It originated as a 'special concession' to permit access/egress to those who would be unable to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules in less than VMC,

And yet bizarrely I recall when SVFR required a minimum 10k vis.

as they muddle along at low level in less than VMC...

Which might amount to clear of cloud by up to 999feet vertically, and 50 miles vis, which previously worked just fine under VFR in a radar environment with potential for much improved ground clearance and of more practical use.