Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I AM SEEKING CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE ON WHAT THE PROCESS WILL BE FOR A FIT 82 YEAR OLD TO RETURN TO FLYING .

I AM A LIFE TIME UK PPL FIXED WING AND HELICOPTER LICENSE HOLDER, FORMERLY AN INSTRUCTOR/IMC EXAMINER TOTAL TIME APROX 2000 HOURS PLUS HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF GLIDING . I HAVE NOT EXERCISED THE PRIVILEGES OF MY LICENSE FOR OVER TEN YEARS. I SIMPLY WANT TO FLY IN THE UK UNDER VISUAL FLIGHT RULES . I AM FIT WITH NO CURRENT MEDICAL PROBLEMS AND AM STILL WORKING . AND HAVE SIGNED A MEDICAL SELF DECLARATION ON LINE WITH THE CAA.

IS THIS A PIPE DREAM THAT I SHOULD FORGET OR GO FOR IT. ? COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED .

GARY MURRAY
AUTHOR/PARALEGAL/RAFA WELFARE OFFICER
Welcome to the forum Gary, and Im sure someone will be along soon with exactly what you need to do. You have come to the right place :thumleft: However there is no need to SHOUT!! :shock:
(I'm guessing you are not aware, but using capitals on a forum is considered to be SHOUTING and that you are possibly :furious: )

I'd say you are never too old, give it a shot if you can get the required medical for aeroplanes, if not, maybe 3-axis microlights are an option?

Best regards, SD..
Welcome back , Gary.

From what you have written it seems to me that you'd be well-suited to flying many a Permit aeroplane and vice versa. With your Self-Dec in your pocket, you're halfway there, whatever you do.

I'll leave others to state chapter and verse on revalidating your PPL, which won't be difficult, but may I suggest you consider looking around for the nearest LAA Strut, where there's a wealth of relevant experience, probably not that dissimilar to yours, companionship and a wide variety of aircraft to be seen. If costs are an option, that particular grapevine is invaluable.

Oh and you're not that much older than the average PPL, now :D
PaulB, skydriller, Chris Martyr and 1 others liked this
Hi Gary,

Welcome back. I suspect you will have little problems in getting back in to the saddle. On the paperwork side, your SEP(L) Rating will have expired. To get this back you will need to pass a check ride with an examiner, this is not a full GFT, just a flight to convince the examiner that you are safe to go again. As you have been an Instructor & Examiner you will have a fair idea what standards are required.

One minor problem with the paperwork side at the moment is that everything is in a state of flux due to the effects of Brexit. With an original ICAO UK CAA PPL (usually called the ‘Poo Brown’ one) you are well placed to fly G Reg aircraft in the UK. A lot of the ins and outs are covered by two of our favorite Forumites, namely Dave W and Irv Lee. Irv’s website* has loads of useful information, which he does a very good job of keeping up to date (the term drinking from the fire hose is often used…)

In terms of flying the aircraft rather than the paperwork, I’d go with the suggestions of seeking out your local Light Aircraft Association (formerly PFA) strut. Lots of the LAA Aircraft are “non-EASA”, which given the present state of flux will make them a good match for your CAA PPL an PMD.

As specific issues come to light, do post questions on here, you will hopefully get some useful answers as well as the usual banter.

Welcome back to our flying world.

Richard W.

*Irv's Website:
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/index.html
Licence /Medical combinations:
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/combos.html
Latest Updates:
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/combos.html
Thanks for the useful stuff everyone is posting . Foxmoth, I am residing Berkshire near a rather large Castle. I am currently going through the CAA list of Medical Examiners. Some attract me, others don't seem right for me. I have located one whose web site is informative and I get the right feeling for him. Fingers crossed I can re-validate my ancient Class 2
Hi Gary,
I am happy to be corrected here , but if you are in compliance with DVLA medical requirements to drive a car , have filled in the CAA on-line health declaration and hold a CAA lifetime UK PPL , ,,,,,
Then there is only one more thing you need to do.... :D :D :D
Flyingfemme wrote:That nice Mr Yeager was flying military fast jets until he was 80......and then he cut back to just flying his Mustang 8) He's 97 now and I think he was flying last year.

Mr Yeager tweeted that he was 97 yesterday. Happy Birthday, Sir.
Chris Martyr wrote:Hi Gary,
I am happy to be corrected here , but if you are in compliance with DVLA medical requirements to drive a car , have filled in the CAA on-line health declaration and hold a CAA lifetime UK PPL , ,,,,,
Then there is only one more thing you need to do.... :D :D :D

Hi Gary,
I think what Chris Martyr is saying is that you don't actually need a Class2 medical any more, if flying for private purposes.