Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gfry
I wondered if I can gather your thoughts and opinions. I have my aircraft in for a bare metal respray. They have just got the aircraft stripped back and have found a few unexpected items that need to be dealt with. I did expect there to be a few surprises.

However they have come back and said that the surprises will double to cost of the quote. I was expecting a few £k extra but I am facing a price hike of £10k.

Not sure if I am being taken for a ride or not. The aircraft is in bits and back to bare metal, I have already paid £5k up front of the quote, I am not exactly faced with many options at this point.

I am all ears at this point.
By TheFarmer
Wow.

That’s a big hike.

I think they’re trying it on. Do you know an engineer you can trust who’ll go along and inspect this for you?

If not, I do. And it could save you thousands. Message me if you want.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Awkward situation. If you share the name (or give a good hint ), someone on here will pipe up if they have had great work from them.

Second opinion from an independent engineer?

Can never be sure what will find once it is in bits with the paint removed.... I did read about an eye watering full restoration of a Bulldog and the owner was delighted even though significantly over budget by a lot more than that.

Interested in the outcome as ours is in for paint somewhere TBD in the not too distant future.
By Rob L
gfry wrote:It's a 1968 Cherokee 6.

With regards to the spray shop, I have used them in the past.

Has it had a respray in its history to date, if known?
After 52 years, it is to be expected that there will be a lot of remedial work on the structure. The Cherry 6 is made primarily of aluminium, and all aluminium wants to do is to change back to bauxite.
By gfry
Yes it has had resprays over the years. Seems the biggest additional expenses is removing filler and then refilling on the leading edge.

Some skins have to be removed to deal with corrosion (I expected this sort of thing to crop up).

I have had a good chat with my engineer, so I now have a few questions to ask the paint shop.

It could well be that the additional £10k was easy to tot up. It's just a surprise when the surprises double the quote.
By Marchettiman
Sounds like the scam I narrowly avoided 10 years ago when I accepted a quote to tarmac the drive down to my house. They started around the house and did a great job, but disappeared leaving the first 20m of the drive to our entrance from the public road undone. The following morning the "boss" turned up in a smart suit and in a delightful Irish accent told me that they had discovered a problem with the stability of the ground at the top of the drive and it would cost another £8k to fix it before they could lay the surface there. Having told him to go forth and multiply I eventually got another company to do the remaining part for £1k; they couldn't find a problem with the ground.
I would ask for a detailed breakdown (hours and materials) of the "extra" work your painters have suggested and get a LAE to examine it and verify that the work is both necessary and outside the scope of a normal bare metal respray.
By Charliesixtysix
Work involved in this kind of job is always a huge unknown until exposed.

Yes, £10k is a lot of money but break it down into parts (ask for a list), labour ( ask how many additional hours and hourly rate - I would guess you expect that to be at around £40-50+/hr for an engineer). Then add 20% VAT to the sub total and it soon adds up.

I suggest you discuss the proposed work with your trusted engineer and go together and look at it before authorising if you have any concerns.

You will end up with a better aircraft at the end of it ( or, to look at it another way, the pre-existing faults will have been rectified).
By Shoestring Flyer
My thoughts are that the initial quote of £10k for a bare metal respray of a 1968 aircraft was way, way too low in the first place!
I rather suspect they pitched it that low to get your initial business. So they are probably not now trying it on to complete the job properly, but I do question the way they initally quoted you in the first place.
If they had talked you through the minimum cost of the job on a perfectly solid aircraft not needing corrosion rectification and the likehood of how things potentially could escalate with corrosion when the aircraft was stripped then that would have been the correct way of dealing with you.
All down to proper customer handling really.
mick w liked this
By gfry
I have had a long chat with my engineer and the paint company.

£10k is quiet easily spent........

As pointed out it will be a better aircraft and existing issues remedied.
By Charliesixtysix
Shoestring Flyer wrote:My thoughts are that the initial quote of £10k for a bare metal respray of a 1968 aircraft was way, way too low in the first place!
I rather suspect they pitched it that low to get your initial business. So they are probably not now trying it on to complete the job properly, but I do question the way they initally quoted you in the first place.
If they had talked you through the minimum cost of the job on a perfectly solid aircraft not needing corrosion rectification and the likehood of how things potentially could escalate with corrosion when the aircraft was stripped then that would have been the correct way of dealing with you.
All down to proper customer handling really.

Sounds to me like they have done per the bold above. The OP said he was expecting costs on top of the basic strip/respray price.

In twenty plus years of aircraft maintenance, my experience is that the only number the vast majority of owners want to hear at quote (or more normally, estimate?) is the minimum figure it could possibly be , and the part about how much it can potentially escalate by for rectification work needed simply does not register.
By Rob L
Charliesixtysix wrote:..my experience is that the only number the vast majority of owners want to hear at quote (or more normally, estimate?) is the minimum figure it could possibly be ...

(very heavily snipped by me)

That's the same in any situation, in my opinion. Be it aircraft, cars, houses, driveways, business software updates etc.

Rob
Charliesixtysix liked this