Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:500 recreational pilots moving is not an insignificant number of active GA pilots to leave the UK CAA.

But have they left? I made sure I had a UK icao PPL before SOLI - and I just revalidated itlast month. If they were smart the others did the same too in order to hedge their bets (you can never have too many licences). I would be surprised if those with other licences didnt do the same.

Regards, SD..

Yep, I kept a UK ICAO CPL so that will appear in the issue stats in due course but that does not make me active on it as it’s limited to non EASA types.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
GrahamB wrote:
SteveC wrote:.. as it’s limited to non EASA types.

But it won't be if we leave EASA.

I have no doubt that in due course that the UK will revert EASA types on the G Reg to UK types, it would be insanity not to. However that does not mean that UK licence holders will be able to fly EASA aircraft or have commercial privileges in them.

You are not thinking outside of the UK goldfish bowl. If you are flying is a G reg aircraft hunting for the perfect burger around the ever decreasing UK airfields there will be little change to your life other than the ever decreasing number of places to visit and closing flying schools meaning it will get ever more mundane and we will just keep seeing the numbers of flyers dropping.

For those with an eye on commercial aviation an EASA licence is the only way to go. As I have said we now SOLI every single student even those not certain on a commercial career to be on the safe side.
I tend to think that we're heading for a future of people increasingly holding multiple licences.

I already hold FAA, EASA and CAA CPLs - I anticipate once Brexit has happened properly I'll transfer my EASA licence to Austro or Eire. Looks like by the middle of this year for completely unrelated reasons I'll have a, Australian licence, and I've also got a lapsed Canadian "61.75 equivalent" PPL.

It's an increasingly international world, and "international" absolutely does not mean "just inside the EU".

None of this is about lowest standards, just about being able to fly aeroplanes in multiple countries. What we really want it portability that minimises the amount of extra work going from ICAO state A to ICAO state B. In that regard, EASA is massively guilty of gold plating of-course. 14 writtens for an existing ATPL holder anybody?

G
I am am looking at a SOLI change from UK to IAA or AustroControl.

I have a UK-issued Class 1 medical and PPL with IR(R). I am training towards an ATPL which I plan to complete by Aug 21. I am doing my ATPL theory through AustroControl.

I would like an EASA PPL and UK PPL post Brexit to give the option of getting both a UK and EASA CPL so I can apply to both Ryanair and Jet2. (I realise I could apply to Ryanair with a UK issued CPL but I would like to avoid the issue of converting UK to EASA post brexit which may require another Initial medical).

My question is if I apply for a SOLI change, can I still get a UK-issued PPL alongside my EASA PPL and can I maintain my IR(R)/IMCR on my UK licence to continue to build IFR experience toward an EASA CBIR?

Also, with both a UK and IAA/Austro PPL, can I apply for both a UK and EASA CPL following a CPL course a UK-based CAA and EASA registered ATO?
SteveC wrote:
GrahamB wrote:
SteveC wrote:.. as it’s limited to non EASA types.

But it won't be if we leave EASA.

I have no doubt that in due course that the UK will revert EASA types on the G Reg to UK types, it would be insanity not to. However that does not mean that UK licence holders will be able to fly EASA aircraft or have commercial privileges in them.

All very interesting.... But the other way around to SteveC’s point above, do we feel that in the future when the dust has settled, an EU EASA licence holder will be able to operate a G Reg aircraft?
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
4535jacks wrote:My question is if I apply for a SOLI change, can I still get a UK-issued PPL alongside my EASA PPL and can I maintain my IR(R)/IMCR on my UK licence to continue to build IFR experience toward an EASA CBIR?

Also, with both a UK and IAA/Austro PPL, can I apply for both a UK and EASA CPL following a CPL course a UK-based CAA and EASA registered ATO?

If you have a UK issued EASA PPL then you apply for a UK PPL on the basis of having a UK issued EASA PPL - I did this myself before SOLI. I guess you can do the same with a UK EASA CPL, but @SteveC would know for sure. Similarly for onward training, maybe SteveC knows?

Regards, SD..
The answer on training is quite complex and will depend on how many schools dual register. We are currently a UK ATO and also have a direct registration with EASA for next year. We will take a long hard look at April 2021 when the ATO fees are due as to whether we maintain a UK training school status as well as EASA. My gut feeling is there is not likely to be enough demand for maintaining UK ICAO courses as literally every single student we have coming through the school have insisted on not getting a UK licence. So post PPL we SOLI them so they keep a UK ICAO licence and get an EASA licence from Austro Control.

Yes, you can get a UK CPL or ATPL as well as your EASA one. Its what I did in order to keep my “record” open with the UK CAA and be able to maintain some other privileges.

The answer on the IRR is a little more complicated. As it stands at the moment the UK ICAO licence is not valid in EASA aircraft so technically you would have to find a permit IFR aircraft in order to exercise it. However an anecdotal note about the CBMIR is it takes people way more hours than they expect to do a CBMIR based on IMCr experience so I am not sure its actually worth it......
skydriller, AirGus liked this
skydriller wrote:If you have a UK issued EASA PPL then you apply for a UK PPL on the basis of having a UK issued EASA PPL - I did this myself before SOLI. I guess you can do the same with a UK EASA CPL, but @SteveC would know for sure. Similarly for onward training, maybe SteveC knows?
Regards, SD..

Off topic a little, sorry, but if one has a NON-UK issued EASA PPL, but lives in the UK, can one apply for a UK PPL licence? I guess not, not without lots of paperwork, and a skills-test at the very least?
Quick question for SteveC! Have you (or anyone else) been able to obtain and/ or retain a UK national ATPL (or CPL) whilst having a non-UK EU SOLI?

About 3 years ago my old UK National ATPL expired - must have been one of the last with an expiry date. I attempted to renew it and the CAA absolutely refused to do so as by then my JAR cum EASA ATPL & medical had been SOLI’d to the Netherlands for work purposes. They said I could not have a UK ATPL with a non-UK SOLI medical. I was banging my head against a brick wall with that one. So I settled with getting my old UK PPL reissued with my new address which I could have with a Self-Certification medical. You couldn’t make it all up could you....?
Ah, thanks for that SteveC. You’ve succeeded where I failed. Think it depends on who you get on the day! I think the key is that you send your records to both CAA’s with the relevant numbers on. My medical is done in the NL and only contains the NL number. I sent the UK CAA a certified copy of it with my application but that was not acceptable. Despite many emails they never gave me any clue of a way to solve the issue. May try again one day....... Cheers.