Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
DavidC wrote:I was intrigued that you can retain a UK national PPL while also holding a foreign EASA PPL. This might be a useful workaround if we left EASA, allowing an commercial pilot and/or instructor to fly/instruct any EASA aircraft anywhere but also retain the privileges for instructing/examining IMC ratings and sign off SEP revalidations. Whether its worth the extra cost/hassle for the limited extra privileges is debatable.

David - I got a UK national CPL and Mrs derekf for a UK national PPL issues when we SOLI's based on our EASA license. CAA provide all details on how to do this specifically for people who SOLI away from the UK and also remind you it's only valid for Annex I aircraft (used to be Annex II)

It will allow us to maintain UK 'limited' privileges but is there to provide the ability to potentially convert these to UK Part-FCL licenses if we crash out (the EASA equivalent).

The downside (other than the cost) might be that we may need to maintain two medicals

Lots may happen before December, so this is a risk based approach we've taken specifically to allow flying EU reg a/c in EU (and potentially instructing) in the event of a painful exit

You're correct about IR(R) - can't instruct for that unless your license was issued by the UK.

The FCL.945 for a CRI is also only available on a UK license so I have lost that with my SOLI'd license.
skydriller liked this
There will be plenty to unfold in the coming year on this saga. Some is starting to become a little clearer and some is in the dark. Personally I think that SOLI for anyone who is interested in the world outside the U.K. bacon butty scene is essential and actually a very low cost exercise. At the moment the U.K. CAA are saying that an EASA medical will be accepted for a U.K. ICAO licence so we will see where that leads in the future. Having both a Uk licence and an Austrian licence keeps all my options open.

I have always been anti the FCL.945 privilege as it turned forum barrack room lawyers into FCL experts over night which then left it to us examiners who are actually trained in the regs to fix tech problems they created later. So the loss of them from the main stream is a relief......

Ironically the English will have killed off the IMCr with Brexshit by driving those able to teach and test for it to overseas licences.......
Last edited by SteveC on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
skydriller, derekf liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
SteveC wrote:Ironically the English will has killed off the IMCr with Brexshit by driving those able to teach and test for it to overseas licences.......

Why can't they retain their instructing and examining privileges on their UK licences?

They can. My UK ICAO licence has all of my Instructor and FE/CRE/IRE ratings on along with SEP Land and Sea and MEP but no type ratings. It valid only on non EASA types at the moment but it’s only there as a place holder.

If we want to go for a bit of technical pedantry, it can be used in permit aircraft and if it’s one of the few IFR certified Permit then the IMCr can be exercised on it.
Seems that the die has been cast. The UK will not take part in any EU programmes or agencies that put the country under the jurisdiction of the EU court - David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator with the EU.

Apparently, "the democratic consent of the British public would “snap dramatically and finally” if the UK continued to be tied to EU rules", although I don't recall being asked my opinion on that.
I also remember Boris saying the last extension would be over his dead body.
Both sides are currently putting out strongly worded statements of their desires, but a negotiation is a negotiation and let's see what happens. Planning for the worst is generally the best way as you won't be disappointed!
At the top of the thread I asked
PaulB wrote:Has anyone done an FOIA to see how many people have actually done this in the past couple of years?

Later on
DavidC wrote:The word on the grapevine is that over 5,000 UK commercial pilots (out of approx 20K) have changed their state of licence issue from UK to another EASA member state

The grapevine doesn't appear to be that far out.... I asked the CAA for numbers by licence type for the last 3 years. This is the table I received back. Certainly in increasing trend.

I wonder if the "private" licences reflect either those who live abroad and those who already hold a UK licence?

Credit to the CAA for answering this quickly (I guess I'm not the first, and won't be the last, to ask this.) )
skydriller wrote:So the "guestimates" arent that far off really.

I suspect the PPLs are those that live abroad (like me :mrgreen: ) and those with a non-G reg aeroplane.

Regards, SD..

We now SOLI every PPL prior to starting commercial training to Austria.
What will happen to UK based AMEs come next January, should we divorce from the EU? Will they become UK only or will they have the option to be both EASA & CAA?

... and FIs?

(wondering how easy it might be to operate (say) an F reg in the UK next year with a French part.FCL licence.)