Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I fear that Grant Shapps is beginning to demonstrate that he is a Tory cabinet minister first and aviator second or even third...... :( [/politics]
By Flyin'Dutch'
TLRippon wrote:Two million funding may sound like a lot of money but it really isn’t, it’s chump change and to a consultancy firm, it’s petty cash.

The first 400k will flow directly back into HMRC coffers.

But all that said, it is better so than nothing, it means they've recognised something needs to be done.
Can I recommend highly the P Bor Bespoke Airport Improvement Consultancy?

The highly experienced staff are wholly familiar with GA Aerodromes, and for an amazingly modest hourly rate of £999 will spend days coming up with airfield improvement programs that include putting up the costs for annoying little buzzers and adding the words "Executive" and for any site South of Edinburgh, "London" to the airfield name.

My... er... their extensive range of contacts with sign writers and PPE manufacturers ensure ongoing cost are kept to a minimum.

Aerodrome principals are invited to contact me by PM

Rob P
AirspacegrabsRus
Jonzarno, kanga, nallen liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:..- change the status of airfields back from brownfields to green fields as it was before Prescott's 'mistake'...

oh, dear! I thought that myth (and personalised calumny relating to it) had long since been busted on these Forums and elsewhere .. :roll:
Found it - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-mi ... -airfields

£2 million new funding allocated to support local airfields

Airfield development fund launches in spring to increase support for airfield owners, operators, local councils and associated businesses.

Published 13 February 2020

The airfield development fund will provide commercial expertise support to local airfields
the funding will support airfields, help general aviation businesses to grow, and support science and engineering training to workforces.

Launching in spring, applicants will have 4 weeks to apply for advice as part of the £2 million fund.

Today (12 February 2020) Aviation Minister, Paul Maynard launched the Airfield Development Fund, which will increase support for airfield owners, operators, local councils and associated businesses, helping them upskill, thrive and grow.

Airfields are an integral part of the £3 billion general aviation sector and considered the grassroots of the entire aviation sector, however many have often struggled with business development and financial sustainability.

This new funding aims to ensure airfield businesses receive access to advisors, offering help on a range of legal and business-related topics to support their future development — which could include advice on science and engineering training, developing electric aircraft and preserving heritage aircraft.

Applicants are encouraged to apply for advice from the £2 million fund from spring by demonstrating how it could help them protect or expand their business. This includes applying for help on proposed developments, protecting airfields, or expanding training facilities and commercial opportunities.

Paul Maynard, Aviation Minister, said:

The UK government recognises the enormous contribution smaller airfields make to the UK economy, and to the people they serve, where many aviation careers take first flight.

We’re committed to protecting our airfields and easing the challenges that many businesses face. This support will help airfields prosper, creating and securing more jobs, while inspiring the next generation of aviation and engineering enthusiasts.

Airfields eligible to apply for advice through the fund must be licensed (EASA, national regulations, GA national) or unlicensed and handling less than 200,000 terminal passengers per year.

The government recognises the significant contribution smaller airfields make to the wider UK economy. The launch of this fund demonstrates the government’s commitment to supporting the general aviation industry — as part of a wider pledge to level up the country — and aims to make the UK a world leader in general aviation.
By flybymike
kanga wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:..- change the status of airfields back from brownfields to green fields as it was before Prescott's 'mistake'...

oh, dear! I thought that myth (and personalised calumny relating to it) had long since been busted on these Forums and elsewhere .. :roll:

Genuine question.
Can you remind us of the true story?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By VRB_20kt
There can't be a much more inefficient way of managing £2m can there? Just give £20k to every airfield in xxx publication that has a grass strip or a runway less than y00 metres (length set to ensure that only 100 airfields in total qualify).
flybymike wrote:
kanga wrote:

Genuine question.
Can you remind us of the true story?

See viewtopic.php?p=1708390#p1708390 for a start.
flybymike, kanga liked this
The more I read the government announcement the more I think this is not for us but instead for smaller regional airports with fewer than 200,000 terminal passengers per annum. As most of our GA airfields have no terminal passengers, I expect this is for the, Oxford, Gloucester, Shoreham, Lydd, Farnborough types, rather than the hotbeds of grass roots flying.
Rob P wrote:Can I recommend highly the P Bor Bespoke Airport Improvement Consultancy?

The highly experienced staff are wholly familiar with GA Aerodromes, and for an amazingly modest hourly rate of £999 will spend days coming up with airfield improvement programs that include putting up the costs for annoying little buzzers and adding the words "Executive" and for any site South of Edinburgh, "London" to the airfield name.

My... er... their extensive range of contacts with sign writers and PPE manufacturers ensure ongoing cost are kept to a minimum.

Aerodrome principals are invited to contact me by PM

Rob P
AirspacegrabsRus

I see what you are trying to do there. You can't undercut the industry like that and hope to get away with it.

Daily rates for consultants offering professional services are in the £1000-£1500 per day range plus VAT if they bill through a company. Most however, nowadays, bill on deliverables not by the hour.
Rob P, Dusty_B liked this
Somebody in government has probably been tapped-up by the likes of York Aviation or Cyrus and other consultancies who could be in for a dip into this nice new £2m pot. Any 'consultants' hoping to get their hands on any of this will need to be proper credible entities of course, not some old ATC bloke who's semi-retired and has a one-man-band-based-out-of-his-kitchen consultancy advising on getting your GNSS RNAV ACP application expedited. Perhaps?!