Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Henry
Do you use the Windy weather app? I hear great things about it from other pilots, but I haven’t seen the light yet.

First, there seem to be two apps with the same name - am I right that the one with the red logo is generally preferred?

Second, if so, I find it quite cluttered - there seems to be masses of data there but I find it difficult to read and navigate around. Which functions do you use most, and why is it better than the other sources available? I tend to use a combination of Tafs and Metars, the Met Office basic and GA services, and XCweather - inconvenient in some ways to have to switch between apps, but I find that each provides clear and simple data that I use to build a general picture. Does Windy offer something on top of all this?
By RisePilot
I find AeroWeather Pro and Windy are all that you need. The Met Office app/site is utterly rubbish.

With Windy you have full control and can show whatever you wish (I like the cloud base view as a helicopter pilot). You can also switch between 5 different weather models.
By Ibra
Henry wrote:Does Windy offer something on top of all this?

Windy is just a visualization app but it is really practical to get "the full weather picture" but you have to get used to it, first define your flying weather minima on wind, visibility, ceiling , no rain (no TS :lol:)

Open windy,
- Plot 2D, any of the things you care about, zoom in/out geographically, move time, change models and move surface to 0ft to FL100
- Pick point, click and produce metrogram (or read T-Skew)
- Click on airports, look at TAF and current/past METARs

On 2D view: "%Low cloud" layer (0ft to 6000ft) and ECMWF "CloudBase" are good predictor of IMC at GA flying height, especially when you zoom in/out in time & space

Few remarks on models: GFS is really good when you look at twice size of UK say 3 days to 10days (everybody use this data :lol: ), ECMWF is more accurate for less than 3 days and on local areas but mainly because it is updated more often and have more local input data, but ECMWF tend to highly overestimate UK winds (also it is supposed to match GFS on long-term forecasts and 4h forecasts at large scale)

If models differ on a small local area of interest but match globally, go ECMWF, if models differ globally, safe is to go GFS or most conservative vs your weather minima :thumleft: on the day nothing beats TAF/METAR and vertical metrogram, then there is the view outside the cockpit (if you feel it changes along what you saw predicted by a model then you are on track :thumleft: )

Only thing I find missing in Windy is IR images for cloud top/density (but they add live weather radar, sat image, t-skew, so hopefully in next versions ) and fronts overlay from meteorologists (but you will be able to plot few yourself after too much press and play)
By T67M
Ibra wrote:
Henry wrote:Does Windy offer something on top of all this?

Windy is just a visualization app but it is really practical to get "the full weather picture" but you have to get used to it [..]
Open windy,
- Plot 2D, any of the things you care about, zoom in/out geographically, move time, change models and move surface to 0ft to FL100
- Pick point, click and produce metrogram (or read T-Skew)
- Click on airports, look at TAF and current/past METARs

Thank you! I've used Windy for years but I've never found the Skew-T display until now - partly due to it being named "sounding" in the menus.
Ibra liked this