Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CAT4R4TTA
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello, I am a happy ForeFlight customer and in the states you can receive all sorts of info via ADS-B on board if you have something like a Sentry or a DRX.

Does it work in Europe? My latest info were it didn't, but it's a while ago and things may have improved.

Any heads-up?

S.
By TC_LTN
The heads up is in fact Yes. The Danish trial is ongoing https://www.motorflyvning.dk/uat and a new trial is about to start in the UK. Interest from other parts of Europe about the possibility of securing 978 for UAT is also very topical amongst GA organisations as well as state regulators.

The original trial pioneered in Europe by uAvionix and SkyDemon was really important in securing the concept of data transmission in the aviation spectrum in support of GA safety and is now slowly being picked up on by the rest of Europe.

Watch this space in the coming months.
FrankS, Dave W, kanga and 2 others liked this
By Red
The question was does it work in europe?, not will europe possibly be getting it after the suits have taken a few years creating the requisite filing cabinets worth of dross
By skydriller
So NO, it doesnt work in Europe.

There was a trial in the UK and there is a trial in Denmark. For the US that would be like saying "it was trialed in California, now its being trialed in New Hampshire".

Its like those posting that "everybody uses ADSB in Europe".....errr no, not really.
By leemoore1966
The debate over trials and subsequent trials seems irrelevant.
The radio communication technology works, and has been proven to work for many years in the US, is a trial going to prove that thankfully physics works the same in Europe as it does on the other side of the Atlantic :?

So here is the giant elephant in the room
A question of finance - pure and simple.

If 978Mhz is to be re-purposed from its current frequency allocation, who is going to pay to acquire that part of the spectrum, I am guessing Vodafone and O2 would be champing at the bit to get hold of that, in which case, will they be able to bid with the power of their very deep pockets - after all we live in a free market economy ?

Assuming that the spectrum can be re-allocated, who is going to pay for the procurement, installation and commisioning of the ground station network infrastructure - both hardware and software ?

Once installed, who is going to pay for the provision of the services over that network to the end user ?

And finally, who is going to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the groundstations, the network, and the software that configures it to run correctly ?

There are multiple methods of obtaining Weather Data - and any bean counter is going to sit down with their calculator and think having considered the above:-
is UAT a good value proposition to provide Weather Data ?

Thx
Lee
T67M, Stu B, kanga liked this
By riverrock
978MHz is set aside for aviation use world wide. Outside the USA its used for a DME/TACAN channel. So that cost isn't an issue.
By Dave W
I would absolutely love UAT weather and unusually for me am ready for it with SkyEcho2 and PAW.

The only thing is that at the moment with SkyEcho2 it is a set up choice between either UAT or FLARM.

I wonder if it would be feasible for a firmware upgrade that will alternate between both at a rate that minimises the potential to miss a FLARM alert whilst updating wx on UAT?
2Donkeys, PaulB liked this
By TC_LTN
Dave W wrote:I would absolutely love UAT weather and unusually for me am ready for it with SkyEcho2 and PAW.

The only thing is that at the moment with SkyEcho2 it is a set up choice between either UAT or FLARM.

I wonder if it would be feasible for a firmware upgrade that will alternate between both at a rate that minimises the potential to miss a FLARM alert whilst updating wx on UAT?

Maybe a way to address this would be to include re-broadcast of FLARM traffic via TIS-B on UAT although direct reception from the emitting airframe is undoubtedly the more robust method. Maybe FLARM will include ADS-B emission to CAP 1391 standards 'out-of-the-box' on future products? Certainly, simultaneous reception off 1090 and 978 will be required on future ADS-B in devices to detect CAT, GA and UAS, IMHO.
Dave W liked this
By Dusty_B
Could we use PAW ground stations broadcast updated METARs and TAFs every 30 minutes, which could then be checked via the http server - ie, held in memory, and be made available to see on a dedicated page? Maybe have an audio announcement when new data is received?
leemoore1966 liked this
By leemoore1966
Dusty_B wrote:Could we use PAW ground stations broadcast updated METARs and TAFs every 30 minutes, which could then be checked via the http server - ie, held in memory, and be made available to see on a dedicated page? Maybe have an audio announcement when new data is received?

All of the OGNR groundstations in Europe (currently just over 160 in the UK) are all in receipt of a METAR feed for a radius surrounding their locality
At some point we intend to uplink this data as an additional service to the airborne PilotAware systems.
As an example, here is a snapshot of the METAR reports taken at 08:30 this morning for the OGNR based at Wycombe Air Park (Booker ) - this same localized data is available at all stations in Europe.

Here is the same report from Farnborough, that can be seen above.
METAR: EGLF 130820Z 17010KT 8000 -RA FEW029 SCT040 BKN048 05/04 Q0992 RERA

Thx
Lee
By TC_LTN
Lee. Every OGN rebroadcast station rebroadcasting METAR data? That is some undertaking and a potentially a very expensive project, as you pointed out, given infrastructure costs as well the licence for rebroadcast of Met data. Are you proposing to fund this provision via subscription?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Lee, have you licensed a legitimate METAR feed or are you using the “free” data available online from the American NOAA website or derivative?