Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
I would love to know what aircraft people are flying around the UK that require such weather information. You must be flying some hot ships such that you need a radar picture of the weather so far ahead on your routes. How long do you stay up in the skies such that METARs & TAFs are no longer valid?

No fancy UAT weather thing is going to show you the shower in front of you, that you would normally just fly round. Nobody goes anywhere around the UK of such distance that a weather plot is required. Anybody that goes flying in such bad weather that they are going to be relying on a UAT 'radar' needs their bumps felt and/or would have done a lot of research before taking to the skies.

I love gadgets but seeing some rain on my Sky Demon is a lot less useful than me looking out of the window.
Red liked this
By Iceman
I fly around Europe in my TB20 with a Golze satellite-based weather system that gives me weather for the whole of Europe (and beyond), including weather radar, IR imagery, lightning strikes, winds aloft, TAFs, METARs. The beauty of the system is to be able to make early tactical decisions when faced with weather down route, and to be able to avoid the worst weather when IMC. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Iceman 8)
By russp
TC_LTN wrote:Lee. Every OGN rebroadcast station rebroadcasting METAR data? That is some undertaking and a potentially a very expensive project, as you pointed out, given infrastructure costs as well the licence for rebroadcast of Met data. Are you proposing to fund this provision via subscription?

Except the infrastructure already exists and is up and running - sounds like a few lines of code and it's done ... the licence is a different issue, as is how to access and usefully use the data in the sky.

In reality the TAF's and METARS are available via 4G in the sky in most Sky Demon or Similar Apps (and yes I know we're not supposed to have 4G turned on in the air but again in reality I suspect the number of people who turn it off is tiny).
By Dusty_B
PaulSS wrote:I would love to know what aircraft people are flying around the UK that require such weather information. You must be flying some hot ships such that you need a radar picture of the weather so far ahead on your routes. How long do you stay up in the skies such that METARs & TAFs are no longer valid?

No fancy UAT weather thing is going to show you the shower in front of you, that you would normally just fly round. Nobody goes anywhere around the UK of such distance that a weather plot is required. Anybody that goes flying in such bad weather that they are going to be relying on a UAT 'radar' needs their bumps felt and/or would have done a lot of research before taking to the skies.

I love gadgets but seeing some rain on my Sky Demon is a lot less useful than me looking out of the window.

Try flying at night.
Or in 5km vis (can't see the weather ahead then).
Or for longer than 3 hours.
Or when the TAFs show a PROB30 FG .
Or when the wind speed is close to crosswind limits, and every degree or knot of change could make a difference.
2Donkeys, Peter Mundy, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
PaulSS wrote:I would love to know what aircraft people are flying around the UK that require such weather information.

But the question was not constrained to UK, or to average short distance trips.
russp wrote:In reality the TAF's and METARS are available...

I was thinking, based on the prevuios uAvionix/SD trials, of more than just TAFs and METARs. Near real time rain radar and winds overlaid on the map, for example.