Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By FlightDek
patowalker wrote:https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20150814PolicyStatementRMZAndTMZ.pdf

From that doc we have the following

6.1. Schedule 5 of reference E (ANO) requires the carriage of radio navigation equipment in notified airspace. This pressure-altitude reporting transponder must be capable of operating in Modes A and C, and have the capability and functionality prescribed for Mode S
6.2. The requirements for transponders within a TMZ are detailed in
reference B (SERA) as follows
a) All flights operating in airspace designated by the competent authority as a
TMZ shall carry and operate Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR)
transponders capable of operating on Modes A and C or on Mode S,

Looks to me that ANO requires mode S but SERA doesn't - so which is it?
By xtophe
ANO 2009 has been superseded. It's now ANO 2016.
A lot of what was in in it has been replaced by Part-NCO and SERA.
Schedule 5 is now only for non-EASA aircraft and it says:
Transponder

17.—(1) Where required by the notified airspace being flown, aircraft must be equipped with a secondary surveillance radar transponder.

(2) In sub-paragraph (1), “secondary surveillance radar transponder” means such type of radio equipment as may be notified as being capable of—

(a)replying to an interrogation from secondary surveillance radar units on the surface; and

(b)being operated in accordance with such instructions as may be given to the aircraft by the appropriate air traffic control unit.

So no mention of mode S or even mode C.

So aligned with SERA or even more relaxed.
By WhoWhenWhy?
SERA is designed to accommodate those states where the operation of Mode 3A SSR transponders is still permitted. The UK requirement is for a Mode S transponder unless you've got a specific exemption to operate a Mode 3A. The current RMZ/TMZ policy statement is not well worded but is, I understand, being amended. Something to do with enabling the other work being done on electronic conspicuity and ADS-B
By xtophe
WhoWhenWhy? wrote:The UK requirement is for a Mode S transponder unless you've got a specific exemption to operate a Mode 3A.

I believe you're mistaken.
Do you have any reference for this requirement?
By PaulB
xtophe wrote:
WhoWhenWhy? wrote:The UK requirement is for a Mode S transponder unless you've got a specific exemption to operate a Mode 3A.

I believe you're mistaken.
Do you have any reference for this requirement?

I asked where the specific UK regulations regarding transponders in TMZs was earlier. It seems to be strewn around the AIP and various other places.
By WhoWhenWhy?
Look on the CAA website and search for SARG airspace policy statements; you'll find the one relating to RMZ/TMZ there.

I'm not mistaken because I sought clarification from them and they've acknowledged that the AIP text could be clearer
By ak7274
Mode S is mandatory in UK TMZs, unless authorised by air traffic service provider. Therefore Mode S, no need to speak, no Mode S ask.
SERA rules are TMZ mandatory Transponder Mode C and above. Mode S is mandatory above 5000ft in Germany.
By PaulB
Which bit of the AIP says that (as a general rule) mode S is required in UK TMZs? (SERA requires that requirements for TMZs are promulgated in the AIP)
By ak7274
5.3.1 The requirements for the carriage of Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) transponder equipment are hereby notified for the purposes of the UK Air Navigation Order. Aircraft shall carry SSR Mode S transponder equipment as prescribed in sub-paragraphs (a) to (g) below. Sub-paragraphs (a) and (b) detail the requirements in notified Mode S Enhanced Surveillance Airspace, and sub-paragraphs (c) to (g) detail the requirements in all other UK airspace. For the purposes of the UK Air Navigation Order, EU-OPS aeroplanes shall also be equipped in accordance with these requirements.
Sub - para

Applicability

Requirements

SSR Transponder Equipment Within Notified Mode S Enhanced Surveillance Airspace (as notified in paragraph 5.3.2)

(a)

All fixed-wing aeroplanes operating under IFR having a maximum take-off mass in excess of 5700 kg or having a maximum cruising true airspeed capability in excess of 250 kt.

Mode S Enhanced Surveillance

(b)

All other aircraft.

Mode S Elementary Surveillance

SSR Transponder Equipment Within Other UK Airspace

(c)

All aircraft within United Kingdom controlled airspace of Classification A, B and C.

(d)

All aircraft operating under IFR within United Kingdom controlled airspace of Classification D and E.

(e)

All aircraft within United Kingdom airspace at and above FL 100.

(f)

All aircraft within United Kingdom airspace notified as a ‘Transponder Mandatory Zone’.

Note: Applies to Airspace Classes D, E, F and G as appropriate .

(g)

All aircraft (including EU-OPS aeroplanes) registered in the United Kingdom, flying for the purpose of Public Transport.
By PaulB
Thanks... that's GEN 1.5 3.5.1
ak7274 liked this