Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1745747
I presume many others have had the e-mail that I received today, 'reminding' owners that the address doesn't need to be ones home. The bit about home address being best so they can deliver essential safety related material is a joke, surely. Even the CAA has heard of e-mail...though may want no truck with it.

I may investigate the options, but since they provide no link to anything else, I wonder if it will be a big faff, or just a very small faff.

While I dive into the labyrinth, feel free to guess how long it takes me to find what I need. (I'm not the best at interrogating sites with less than user-friendly navigation).

:wink:
#1745769
ChampChump wrote:I presume many others have had the e-mail that I received today, 'reminding' owners that the address doesn't need to be ones home. The bit about home address being best so they can deliver essential safety related material is a joke, surely. Even the CAA has heard of e-mail...though may want no truck with it.

A joke indeed, given that they just emailed us all about this.
ChampChump liked this
#1745773
Not sure why it’s a joke? CAA does email safety info but not everything can be emailed. Plus the address might be used by other organisations eg GASCO. Also the last survey of stakeholders I think showed that people still preferred to receive info in printed rather than electronic form. May also be intended to help people re previous threads re home address being shown on G-INFO etc
#1745784
It makes sense to still have a postal address. You are likely to change your email more often than your home. Particularly if you perhaps used a work email address and then changed jobs.

It's just like with our cars. My dealer knows who I am and can email me service reminders, or warranty recalls. But if its a safety recall they also send a postal copy to the DVLA registered keeper. It's more important people just get the information than worrying about sending it twice, or whether they prefer post or email.
Stu B liked this
#1745792
gasman wrote:I have been a registered owner using my home address for 23 years.
I am struggling to recall any correspondence received by post from the CAA during this time regarding my aeroplane.


In the mean time your home address will be visible to all when they search the record of your aircraft apparently in perpetuity.

I challenged the legality of this with the CAA just before Christmas and they fobbed me off with (initially) words to the effect of 'Ginfo is older than GDPR so is not subject to it" When i challenged that they tweaked it a little bit.... was going to get back to them but haven't had the time.

I wonder what would happen if someone put in an FOIA request for (say) the name and address of every PA28 owner on the G register? The addresses are in the public domain, but difficult to get using GINFO.
#1745795
We had cause to ask for a cut from the G-INFO database. Told them what we wanted, paid the fees and they sent the info on a CD including current name and address information. That was maybe 5 years ago so don’t know if the process has changed.
#1745854
RisePilot wrote:Is this really a thread from the year 2020?

…people still preferred to receive info in printed rather than electronic form

…You are likely to change your email more often than your home

…they sent the info on a CD


WTF ?


I certainly prefer important or complicated stuff on paper. Emails just get lost in the deluge, and I just don't retain information read off a screen as well as if I read it off paper.
And certainly true that email addresses are more transient than postal address (for me at least).
#1745857
1) Google Hewlet Packard or Epsom; they’ve got these cool new box-like devices that put what’s on your screen onto paper.

2) I’ve got every email address I’ve ever used (going back 20 years). Of course for “real” purposes, use a real domain & email; It’s only £9.95 to get your own domain. I’ve wondered who would actually use the email address given to them by their ISP; but seems my query is already answered.
Last edited by RisePilot on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1745860
PaulB wrote:
gasman wrote:I have been a registered owner using my home address for 23 years.
I am struggling to recall any correspondence received by post from the CAA during this time regarding my aeroplane.


In the mean time your home address will be visible to all when they search the record of your aircraft apparently in perpetuity.

I challenged the legality of this with the CAA just before Christmas and they fobbed me off with (initially) words to the effect of 'Ginfo is older than GDPR so is not subject to it" When i challenged that they tweaked it a little bit.... was going to get back to them but haven't had the time.

I wonder what would happen if someone put in an FOIA request for (say) the name and address of every PA28 owner on the G register? The addresses are in the public domain, but difficult to get using GINFO.


Gdpr is a dead end, the CAA are required by legislation to keep a publicly available register. GDPR legislation specifically excludes anything required to fulfil legislation. If you want this changed you have to persuade the govt to change the law.
#1745872
RisePilot wrote: Of course for “real” purposes, use a real domain & email; It’s only £9.95 to get your own domain.


I have a couple of domains, but much prefer Gmail, particularly as having got in early I have (first name) dot (surname) @gmail.com

Rob P
#1745875
I was trying (and failing) to ascertain why my name and address should be publicly available on the GINFO site despite my not having any interest in any aeroplane at present.

The section of the ANO is 27(2)
Image

Item (e) does not say that they shall publish every name in perpetuity. It does however state that the register should contain the names and addresses of all owners, yet they *choose* not to publish details of all owners on GINFO. I’m sure the “register” contains these details but the CAA have chosen not to publish them, but chooses to publish personal information where no statutory duty (that I can see) exists. I was trying and failing to find where such a duty was defined.