Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Come on IMCR going surfing in yesterday's conditions is pretty Darwinian, and as Chris wrote, putting other's at risk.
Colonel Panic, Chris Martyr, Trent772 and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
IMCR wrote:
Mind you , there were also a few Darwin Award candidates out yesterday . Like the clown who went surfing from Hastings and was rescued after putting the lives of Hastings lifeboat crew and the SAR chopper at risk.... :evil: :evil:
They should’ve ‘kneecapped’ the moron . That would keep him from putting other lives at risk totally unnecessarily..

Just feel I should say as a reasonably keen surfer, that you may well be right, but surfers do go out in some pretty extreme conditions and well within their capability. I have no idea what the conditions on that particular beach were like and whether it was plain crazy. It can be dangerous making judgements whenever we see some doing things that may seem pretty extreme to others.

Having seen the video of the lifeboat turned 90 deg on its side by the seas I'd say the conditions were pretty extreme to anybody.

Peter
By Sooty25
PeteSpencer wrote:Having seen the video of the lifeboat turned 90 deg on its side by the seas I'd say the conditions were pretty extreme to anybody.

Peter

Hastings boat is a Shannon class, they are a self-righting design. Crew are strapped in. It isn't as dramatic as it looks, just like a 747 going around really. (unless you are a journalist of course).

I'm not however suggesting the weather may have been a tad extreme for surfing, but what do I know, I can't surf!
By flybymike
I’m pretty sure I heard one of the lifeboat crew interviewed on radio say that he hadn’t realised how close they were to “capsizing” and how much danger they had been in until he saw the video after they came ashore.
In view of the self righting nature of the boat, I’m not sure why he might have said that,

(Several press releases also refer to how close they were to capsizing.)
By Sooty25
as long as it doesn't roll in too shallower water, there is no problem. A bit like capsizing and righting a kayak. RNLI have been using self-righting designs since the '30's.

PR department were probably rubbing their hands when that video broke though! Kerching!
By rikur_
VRB_20kt wrote:Thanks - intriguing that runways so close together can have disparate RVRs

Not really - RVR is only reported when less than 1500, so one is 1400, and the other potentially 1501....

23L normally vanishes into the fog first, but I guess this was heavy rain causing the visibility issue
By flybymike
Not really - RVR is only reported when less than 1500, so one is 1400, and the other potentially 1501....

METAR gives more than 10k for the other runway!

EGCC 091420Z 23023KT 9999 R23R/1400 SCT030 11/07 Q0976 TEMPO 25033KT 4000 +SHRA
By Waveflyer
Sooty25 wrote:Hastings boat is a Shannon class, they are a self-righting design. Crew are strapped in. It isn't as dramatic as it looks........

You have got to be kidding.

I’ve been in a slightly larger boat than that laid over on her beam ends and it’s not pretty.

Strapped in or no everything is being tested to the limits and any failure leaves limited options.

And one thing you don’t know is how much worse it might get.
By Sooty25
Waveflyer wrote:You have got to be kidding.

I’ve been in a slightly larger boat than that laid over on her beam ends and it’s not pretty.

Strapped in or no everything is being tested to the limits and any failure leaves limited options.

And one thing you don’t know is how much worse it might get.

with out knowing your boat, that is probably like comparing doing a Lomcevak in an Extra 300 to doing one in a PA28!
By rikur_
flybymike wrote:

METAR gives more than 10k for the other runway!

EGCC 091420Z 23023KT 9999 R23R/1400 SCT030 11/07 Q0976 TEMPO 25033KT 4000 +SHRA

<pedant mode>Not exactly - it gives general visibility as greater than 10k, and RVR on 23R as 1400m. IRVR on 23L could have been 1501m but wouldn't be reported.
IRVR is measured at a little over head height between specific points along each runway, whereas the METAR visibility reports the visibility from the met obs position over at least half of the half of the horizon.

Back in my time at Manchester it wasn't unknown to have visibility 10k, and RVR < 1500 at the 06 touchdown.</pedant>

I suspect on Sunday it was probably spray or water obscuring one of the IRVR stations, as in general the visibility was pretty good at the time.
flybymike liked this
By condor17
Human Factor , only just got telephone wire back[ blown down] . So.. late on parade ...
We were` expecting a call as you went past , but by time we'd found the 207 , you were West of LND ; so too late to give you an heads up on guard. Suppose you watched it from Hooters on the bay .
Clive had put some socking big DC3 chocks behind and an old QE2 mooring warp tieing her to the fence ; plus you were mostly sheltered from a S Westerley.
Went up to CA on Sun , Yangchang fine . And up Melbury Down , wind accel over the Down like 1/2 a venturi .
About Shetland on a windy day [ 70kts ] , enough to break your chinstrap and roll cap to Norway . Not the Very windy Shetland day [ 100kts ] at all .

rgds condor .