Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By IMCR
Their restraint, when going through a rescue afterwards on camera, when clearly some of the victims are utter twits, is commendable.

It is the degree of utter twits.

From experience, the vast majority of lifeboats rescues are avoidable. You would be amazed at what people do, and arguably far less considerate than this discussion. Abysmally maintained yachts and MBs is a big issue. A complete lack of basic safety equipment is another. Of course, these rarely make the press. One of the hugely increasing reasons for launch is people stranding themselves when the tide comes in. The problems often arise in bad weather, and arguably put the rescue services at risk - but equally inevitably rarely make a press report.

Lifeboat crew are highly trained and rarely put themselves at risk. We look at these reports and think they are operating at the edge of their capability - in the vast majoirty of cases they are not, and, if it is judged the crew were put at risk by the coxain it is a matter of considerable concern.
By IMCR
Talking about the other sensationalist news of the last few days the climbers caught out in Scotland have made lovely gifts to their rescuers and their rescuers have said;

"The team said efforts should be focused on increasing awareness of mountain safety and weather forecasts, adding that the rescued four men should be "cut a little bit of slack"".

Isnt that a lovely comment.

I wonder whether the lifeboat crew have laready said much the same? I bet they have.

Thank God we no longer have lynching mobs. :lol:
By Chris Martyr
So . Was our surfer a fit , focussed , competent young athlete who knew exactly what he was doing ?
Or some thrill-chasing adrenaline monkey . I guess we’ll never know .
Unless some article turns up in a local paper saying that the same guy has been reduced to a vegetable after ‘tombstoning’ off Hastings pier . Maybe , until then he should be given the benefit of the doubt .
What is fairly evident though , is that both Sooty and IMCR may have slightly more of an insight into RNLI matters than some others . And I respect that . :thumright:
Lifeboat crew are a different species I’m sure . What they do is in their blood and probably passed down from previous generations .
Why do they do it ? Probably because it’s there .

Thankfully , they don’t differentiate over whether or not it is a ‘muppet’ they’re rescuing .
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chris Martyr wrote:So . Was our surfer a fit , focussed , competent young athlete who knew exactly what he was doing ?
Or some thrill-chasing adrenaline monkey . I guess we’ll never know .
Unless some article turns up in a local paper saying that the same guy has been reduced to a vegetable after ‘tombstoning’ off Hastings pier . Maybe , until then he should be given the benefit of the doubt .
What is fairly evident though , is that both Sooty and IMCR may have slightly more of an insight into RNLI matters than some others . And I respect that . :thumright:
Lifeboat crew are a different species I’m sure . What they do is in their blood and probably passed down from previous generations .
Why do they do it ? Probably because it’s there .

Thankfully , they don’t differentiate over whether or not it is a ‘muppet’ they’re rescuing .

The answers to all your RNLI questions can be found in the BBC series I've mentioned above.

As to the surfer, well................. :roll:

Peter :wink:
By IMCR

Thank you for your graciousness.

In the very vast majority of cases they dont. Frankly, I am afraid if they did, there would be at least 50% less shouts. Only a very few receive the publicity this case did, and I guess it is frustrating when based on what we know, it might just have been one of the less deserving.

Can you imagine a small speed boat, adrift anchored in the main shipping lane, (anchored being a relative term, given the depth and the length of the rope which left the anchor dangling about a quarter way to the bottom), with a child of five on board, and no life jackets, an engine that hadnt been serviced since they purchased the boat five years earlier (who knows if or when it was serviced before that), in a rising F5 (which was forecast) fishing for Cod. I would agree that based on the balance of the facts, their decision making process was open to question. If I am to get exicted, it is to place your crew / passengers unknowingly at risk, because they really are the ones that have no training, and no way of knowing what the risk necessarily are. In comparison this surfer was a angel of virtue.
By IMCR
PeterSpencer

Thank you for the link.

I noticed;

"The casualty was recovered to the land at Winchelsea Beach, and lifeboat was stood down."

I could be wrong, but I think all concerned should be careful that the reporting is accurate. I make it very clear that I might well be wrong, but I am lead to understand the "casualty" recovered himself to the beach unassisted and was not recovered by the lifeboat - but as I say could well be wrong. I think the wording creates a different impression.

As I mentioned the LB initially motored to Eastbourne Sovreign Harbour and then was subsequently recovered to hastings where it was positioned back on station.