Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
I’ve heard her name pronounced various ways but the word “eighty” has come through clearly.

Maybe too late to rush down to where your ‘plane is parked but there maybe time early Sunday morning.
By rf3flyer
I wish the met office would cease this stupid naming of storms. OK, if it's a hurricane, fair enough but not events like this.

I daresay whoever came up with the idea got a pay rise or a promotion, though.
By PeteSpencer
Au contraire I think it’s a neat shorthand to allow us to follow and instantly identify a particular potentially nasty weather system with as few words possible while emphasising that it’s not to be messed with.

It prompts us to tie down our Cessnas and me to get the cushions in from ‘er indoors’ patio smokatorium .

So long as they don’t devalue the notion by overuse .
kanga liked this
By pullup
rf3flyer wrote:I wish the met office would cease this stupid naming of storms. OK, if it's a hurricane, fair enough but not events like this.

I daresay whoever came up with the idea got a pay rise or a promotion, though.

Yesterday they were TAF’ing 65 knots for all the London airports. That’s hurricane force winds, by definition.

I fear this event is going to lead to some blow overs in the south east.
By Rob P
I just ran a quick check on the usual "radar" apps and I can't see a single light GA aircraft aloft anywhere in the UK.

There's a Cherokee bimbling round Cadiz though

Rob P
By nallen
By Iceman
There are plenty of missed approaches at Heathrow at the moment. One or two worried pilots up there, no doubt.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wide-Body liked this
By Colonel Panic
nallen wrote:BA flight broke the five-hour mark for JFK–LHR!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/storm-ciara-flight-record-new-york-london-time-atlantic-winds-british-airways-a9325396.html

BRITISH AIRWAYS RECORDS FASTEST EVER NEW YORK-LONDON FLIGHT AT MORE THAN 800MPH, AS STORM CIARA WINDS SEE AIRLINES BATTLE FOR SPEED RECORD OVER ATLANTIC

Hmmm, seems that Concorde has been beaten at last! :roll:
By Iceman
Yes, how easily the sub 3 hour Concorde record is forgotten :roll:.

Still, the students at Biggin will be having fun in the circuit today :shock:.

METAR EGKB 091020Z 20040G63KT 2200 RA BKN007 10/09 Q0994

Iceman 8)
By kanga
rf3flyer wrote:I wish the met office would cease this stupid naming of storms. ...

was this name originally from UKMO, or adopted by UK media (and UKMO) after naming by Met Eireann ? In genuine curiosity, as ever.

As most (not all, of course) of the nastiest stuff hitting UK comes from W or SW, there's a good chance it will hit RoI first. With modern forecasting, it will be predictable by both MOs soon enough for warnings by both; and, if looking nasty enough, naming by Met Eireann, reasonably, as first in line.
By nallen
@Iceman @Colonel Panic It's a common feature of today's media that headline writers (a) haven't read the article; (b) are morons.
Colonel Panic liked this