Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mlawton
When you do your imc renewal does it have to be in a plane owned by the training organisatio/flying club or can you do the renewal in a share o plane?
Comments appreciated,many thanks.
By GrahamB
All other things being equal, the only legal requirement would be that your insurance covers it (normally under the 'continuation training' clause), and it has the appropriate equipment for the planned airspace and operation.

Then it's just a question of the whether rules of the particular school/club permit using a non-school aircraft.
By SteveC
It does not require to be done with an ATO. Any approved examiner can do it and in any aircraft equipped and approved for IFR flight.
By Lefty
As Steve says, it doesn’t matter who owns the aircraft. All that is required is (a) that the a/c is properly equipped to fly the proposed approaches (eg ADF and / or DME if they are mandated for the proposed approach), and (b) is insured for the instructor / examiner.

Some training organisations may attempt to insist that if you are using one of their staff examiners, that it is done in one their a/c.
By PeteSpencer
My IR examiner does mine in our shareoplane every other year on the anniversary of/at the same time as my IR renewal: A few other elements are added (e.g. bad weather circuit). so it takes a bit longer.
To keep it tidy I forgo the 25th month so my IR test is always on the same twelve monthly date.
That way everybody's happy.

Peter
By GrahamB
@PeteSpencer Why not get the IRR signed off at every IR PC? That way you’ll always have another 13 months of IRR validity in case you can’t get an IR PC done.
By Dodo
I've done mine in a shareoplane since 2005, apart from once or twice when I combined it with a MEP rating revalidation.
By PeteSpencer
GrahamB wrote:@PeteSpencer Why not get the IRR signed off at every IR PC? That way you’ll always have another 13 months of IRR validity in case you can’t get an IR PC done.

Very good point: I also get my biennial hour with an instructor combined so in the past I felt I might be pushing it....

Peter
By SteveC
GrahamB wrote:@PeteSpencer Why not get the IRR signed off at every IR PC? That way you’ll always have another 13 months of IRR validity in case you can’t get an IR PC done.

Before my IMCr became never expiring it’s what I used to do. The problem then became finding an examiner with a U.K. licence to do it and they are becoming rarer and rarer now.
By SteveC
User72 wrote:Can also be done in a permit aircraft - doesn't need to be approved for IMC.

I eagerly await your explanation of how this is possible.......
By Dusty_B
SteveC wrote:
User72 wrote:Can also be done in a permit aircraft - doesn't need to be approved for IMC.

Don't go IFR.
By SteveC
Dusty_B wrote:
SteveC wrote:

Don't go IFR.

Oooh, pray tell how you do that on INSTRUMENT qualification renewal. You are required to be able to comply with IFR. You are required to carry the equipment needed for the approach and any missed approach procedure. The aircraft is required to be certified accordingly. There are permit aircraft that are certified accordingly.

Your advice is incorrect.