Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It was advised to the group by an attendee that the reason high viz was introduced as industry best practice was when a pushback agent was killed
in dark weather at one of the London airports.

Not my understanding of the reason.

CAP642 Airside Safety Management Issue 1 was published by the CAA in March 1995 as a guidance document.

Working at Manchester Airport I was told of a collision between an Electric Baggage Truck and the Captain and Co-Pilot of a Britannia B757 recently parked on Pier B. It was the proverbial dark and stormy night as they walked down the side of the pier where the handling agents offices were.

Unfortunately, they were unaware of a cut-through from one side to the other used by EBTs to save having to go the whole way round the pier.

An EBT driven at speed caught them by surprise as they walked across its path. Although injured they survived.

CAP642 never mandated the wearing of Hi-Viz or any other PPE. It was designed to focus airports' minds on hazard ID, risk assessment and mitigation. When I later joined the CAA, I temporarily took responsibility for the publication and was often amused to be shouted at on aerodromes that wearing Hi-Viz was a CAA Regulation!

It wasn't, but as I was on their property their rules applied.
Is there some reason why Staverton (and every other airfield) can't have a sign up somewhere (and publish in the relevant official documentation) some statement along the lines of "we recommend that anyone on foot air-side wears high visibility clothing" rather than making it mandatory. Then I can decide it's ok on a bright sunny day but maybe think again on a dark stormy night. Most importantly airport management is covered.
JulietTango liked this
We don't carry hi-viz, nowhere to put them and I'll be damned if I wear one on board. It rather defeats the object of the Nomex we ought to wear in an ex-military aircraft. I guess I won't be going to Staverton then.

Their loss.
flybymike wrote:Was it Sywell or somewhere else who threatened a £10 fine to anyone who did actually wear high vis?

Caernarfon: landing fee doubled if not wearing hi-viz
Sywell: landing fee doubled if wearing hi-viz

Its a funny old world :roll:
flybymike liked this
gasman wrote:
flybymike wrote:Was it Sywell or somewhere else who threatened a £10 fine to anyone who did actually wear high vis?

Caernarfon: landing fee doubled if not wearing hi-viz

Does that mean you have to actually land in a hi-vis in order not to get higher landing fee?
bilko2 wrote:Is there some reason why Staverton (and every other airfield) can't have a sign up somewhere (and publish in the relevant official documentation) some statement along the lines of "we recommend that anyone on foot air-side wears high visibility clothing" rather than making it mandatory. Then I can decide it's ok on a bright sunny day but maybe think again on a dark stormy night. Most importantly airport management is covered.

Problem is, given the bureaucracy now, if an airport already has a Mandatory Hi-Viz Rule, they probably have to run it through a change management to remove the rule. Simply not worth the hassle so the rule sticks!

Plus of course if you remove the rule, and then somebody does get run over by a rogue wheelie bin, the question will come down, "Why did you remove the rule".

It's all a bit of a mess, but personally, I don't mind wearing the stuff. It's the airports rules, we all have to play with them. Plus the colour suits my eyes :)